Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Really bad knives

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    How about friends with decent knives that can't seem to stay sharp? That's crappy, isn't it? The other day, one of them told me they don't just throw their knives in the sink anymore. I took a look and they were wet, sitting neatly piled in the sink next to the dirty dishes and everything else rather than under and in between dishes sitting in pool of water. I guess it's a start...
    I trying my best, bud.

My Dad has the full Cutco block, that he is quite happy with for now. However, he is an engineer and understands the value of spending money on good tools. So, he is quite interested in my knife and sharpening obsession and wants to see my kit when I come to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by jackslimpson View Post
    Seriously, I have never encountered a sharp knife anywhere outside my own house. If I spend any time at all at someone's house, I will be drawn into the kitchen, and will do what I can to sharpen their pathetic knives. I've started to bring along my Takeda hand held stone, and a 250/1000 King, and a diamond steel whenever I travel to friends or families houses. To the horror of one of my nephews, I spent half an hour stropping his mother's "big chef knife", a Henckels 8", on a cinder block paver I found in the garage. It was rendered useable, though I had to steel it often. (I'd been recruited to cook dinner for everyone that night). So many of the knives I've encountered are so dull, I'd end up using their bread knife (I don't know why, but as bad as most of the knives are, many folks have a decent serrated bread knife). A friend of mine, who's family owns a restaurant somewhere, has her house stocked with Nella knives. Have you seen these things? Big multicolored plastic handles, light concave ground complex bevel knives whose blades are so weird and light, they feel like their made of aluminum. I saw on some show once that these knives are typically rented by restaurants, and once a week, they rotate the old one's out for new one's that have been sharpened on some coarse grinder. These are some of the worst knives I've ever seen.

The older people in my family have knives that have some archeological value: ancient, rusty steel knives with blades deformed from years of attempted sharpening on the edges of ceramic bowls, etc. My dad has one that has both scales swinging free like gates, held on by one remaining rivets, the other two having given up decades before. He still uses it, gathering it all up in his hand before going to town on some innocent piece of sausage. He has another one that looks like it might have been an Old Hickory, but know is deformed and rusted ... I call it "The Murder Weapon."

I don't know how these people get anything done.

Cheers,

Jack
    Nella is a foodservic equipment supplier, based here in Toronto. They do indeed rent and sharpen knives. They rebrand Italian Sanelli knives as Nella Cutlery, these are very soft 54rc knives and I can't find out any information about the steel used at all. One seller, however, actually claims that they are made from surgical steel. I highly doubt it. They are very common in cooking schools, much like Forschner or Victorinox. These are some of the worst knives I have ever seen, for sure!

Worst knife I've ever encountered was a Farberware that I sharpened for someone's coworker. Never have I returned a knife to a paying customer telling them that their knife really sucks. I mean, the worst cutting knife-shaped object I've ever used. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    Nella...
    A really crappy nella knife is basically what got me going on the slippery slope of knife addiction... so they do have a use... The owner at Knifewear basically laughed at me (he's a buddy so it was cool) when I showed it to him and the rest is history...

A while back when I was actually cooking for a living, I showed up at work expecting to do some major cleaning, and instead was thrust into manning the carving station at their expensive brunch. 2 hours into service, the exec chef walked up to me, and told me I looked like I was struggling to cut the meat. Having a blister on my hand, I was probably a little short with him, and said, "If you would have given me notice, I would have brought my knives... Instead, I'm using the dullest piece of $h*t I've ever seen." He then pushed me out of the way, grabbed the knife and attempted to slice the leg of lamb. A little while later, he returned with one of his knives. Sadly, it wasn't much better.
    Then, a couple of years ago, I was asked to slice about 50 lbs. of flank steak for my sister's rehearsal dinner. My dad got out a nice cutting board for me, took out a slicer, and about half way through the first one, I told myself I wasn't about to go through that again. Stopped, went out to the garage, and grabbed his sharpening stones, and put a livable edge on it. I probably told him that dull knives were dangerous, and he should take better care of them. Which still baffles me to this day, since he's the one that taught me how to sharpen knives.
    Now, to avoid all the drama, I never go anywhere without taking along a knife, or just flat out refusing to use their stuff if it isn't well kept. I know I come off like an ass for telling them that, but as much as I was lectured when I was younger, it's my turn to return the favor

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Worst knife I've ever encountered was a Farberware that I sharpened for someone's coworker. Never have I returned a knife to a paying customer telling them that their knife really sucks. I mean, the worst cutting knife-shaped object I've ever used. Ever.
    You should try a Hampton Forge knife. They make Farberware edge taking look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    LOL! I don't remember who had it, but somewhere in the family was (and probably still is) a knife just like that! Although as I think about it, there may have only been 1 scale left.
    Yeah I think my mom has that same knife.

I guess bad knives and bad edges are the norm. I got into knives when I realized how soft and bad my kitchen knives were when I got a couple very good folders. I found that when I sharpened to about 20 degrees inclusive, they chipped and deformed, even at 40 degrees they deform too easily. I guess scary sharp is for people with a little training and that pay attention and want to be an efficient cook.

It seems clear that a huge percent of the population just don't know what they are missing! They will buy machines to cut stuff never knowing they could do it faster with a good knife and good skills which aren't so hard to learn. Oh well, maybe the masses are better off with a 4mm spine, 8" blade, 40degree edge chef gyuto or santoku.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    Yeah I think my mom has that same knife.
    And it will probably be passed down as a family heirloom...