Quantcast
Am I being out of line here?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I being out of line here?

Am I being out of line here?

In reality there's only a handful of vendors that offer Japanese knives and supplies we use to maintain them. You would think that earning customers' business should be each vendor's top priority. Just since January I've made purchases from several, with one company receiving a sizable sum of my money(company $$).

When I was looking for advice for buying some new knives I contacted four different vendors. Three of them responded back with useful information, which included Jon @ JKI who was absolutely the most helpful of all. The fourth company, who I'd spent all the money with was the least helpful. Unlike Jon who asked a bunch of questions and we sent emails back and forth, I got a one sentence reply from "company $$". At the time I just blew it off, Jon was very helpful and I bought from him.

Now I'm looking to get a wa-gyuto for my new handle and so I email "company $$" looking for some additional information on a knife they sell. What do I get back in response? Another short reply and I'm not sure if the answer is even correct. I'm thinking, here I am about to spend $300 on a knife and this company can't take the time to fill me in on the details about it?

Am I expecting too much from the company I've already spent a lot of money with to give me more than the time of day or is Jon's level of expertise on the products he sales so superior that he spoiled me?

In your place I would buy from the one who was helpful. Customer service is not something that is optional now, if it ever was.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Ah, but it is. How many of us have checked out something at a local store, and then shopped the web for the best price? That local store has to pay rent, insurance, utilities, and probably more wages for employees than that internet company. Makes it real hard for that local store to compete. It's the same thing with answering questions. Their time is worth something which is hopefully paid with loyalty.

Jon is someone special, who loves what he is doing. That shows in his responses. Company$$ is probably there to just make money (which isn't a bad thing). Every time you make a purchase, you're voting for service or price. If you like the service, then buy all your knives from Jon. That way, he'll be there when you need service. While he doesn't carry every knife, I'll bet that if you explained what you wanted, he could find something similar for you.

Jon is a knife guy who has built a business from what he loves - knives & cooking. This makes Jon interested in what he's dealing in, meaning the knives just aren't widgets to him, which allows for him to speak about them enthusiastically & because he loves knives this makes him become well informed on the product he sells which makes fitting a customer to the right knife a breeze. I'm not saying that it's easy for him to email multiple responses to one customer, because it's not, but if he's doing this and the other guy isn't then it speaks somewhat of the other guy's level of interest in what he's selling, his potential lack of knowledge on the product, or maybe even his arrogance in feeling that if you don't buy from him then someone else will.

I've bought two knives from Jon in the last year and he's given me excellent service both times. If I'm looking for a new knife, I know who email.

Would $$ stand for "CK" and be missing two $$ for " TG"? Just wondering?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    i've never had anything but fantastic service from Mark at CKtG.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    CKTG has sold me product, at a fair price, with prompt delivery. To be fair, I've never had to e-mail Mark, so I don't know, about that side of his customer service.

Jay

Customer Service means more then somebody who is willing to talk. I want to be confident that that person knows what they are talking about. When I first do a transaction with a business or a person. They need a good reputation before I'll send them my money. How they handle that transaction a lot of times, will decide if I do more business with them. My initial transaction with Dave was excellent as all the other transactions. That's why all my sharpening equipment has come from him. Unless I feel he is abusing my trust, by telling me, I need a bunch of useless product, he is my sharpening source.

I've yet to make a purchase from Jon, but his reputation is excellent. If he answered your questions and delivered a product that met your needs, then why would you look anywhere else? Expert advice in choosing a product is invaluable.

Jay

Hey guys, i just read this topic and wanted to say thanks so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it.