Some Damascus Paring Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
I made five of these a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit the main object was to make something fairly cost efficiently with some left over materials for my market stall. I ended up spending longer than I would have wanted on them, but really enjoyed making them:D They are all about the 100mm mark. About 2mm at the back, with loads of taper to a very fine point. I convexed the faces slightly but less than I would on a larger knife. All but two sold, I've pinched one :D and there is one left if anyone is interested drop me a pm or e-mail. Feedback on the profile etc would be much appreciated as I would like to make a mk2 version in more lavish materials at some point.
This was the batch, don't think I had fixed the handles on at this point or polished the highs on the etch.
IMGP1559.jpg

IMGP1597.jpg

IMGP1595.jpg

IMGP1594.jpg

IMGP1592.jpg

IMGP1591.jpg

IMGP1586.jpg

IMGP1584.jpg

Very cool. What is the wood on the one all the way at the bottom in the first picture?

Thanks Johnny, you know i'm not 100% sure as it was a bag off bits and pieces but I think elm burl. The ferrules are all blackwood.

Thanks Johnny, you know i'm not 100% sure as it was a bag off bits and pieces but I think elm burl. The ferrules are all blackwood.

lets hope it looks as good in the hand as it does in the picture.

Well snaggled Pesky, i'm sure you'll love it. Looks like I had better make some more of these.:D
Found some more pictures of your one
IMGP1595.jpg

IMGP1594.jpg

IMGP1593.jpg

I really like those. Something like that may also open a broader market and appeal to someone who likes to looks and quality but is not comfortable with a big blade. Also could be good gifts for foodies.

Thanks dude, yep I originally made them for the market because allot of home cooks only seem to want to use a paring knife for everything, they loved the look of my bigger knives but generally considered them too large for their needs.
Mass fashion for kitchen knives, (if you could call it that), here in the uk seems on the short side. Most chef knives seem no more than 200mm. I've got a taste for something a bit bigger myself, since hanging out here.:D

I've got a taste for something a bit bigger myself, since hanging out here.:D

Too easy to make a joke there :lol2:
OT: I really like the kiritsuke tip thing you've got going on.

Thanks dude, yep I originally made them for the market because allot of home cooks only seem to want to use a paring knife for everything, they loved the look of my bigger knives but generally considered them too large for their needs.
Mass fashion for kitchen knives, (if you could call it that), here in the uk seems on the short side. Most chef knives seem no more than 200mm. I've got a taste for something a bit bigger myself, since hanging out here.:D

Jus curious..Generally which market is bigger for knife makers?? the 210mm or the 240mm

rgds

Im not sure its a question of which Market is bigger, but which is prepared to spend custom money on knives. I'm certainly up for doing some more funyaki shape Gyuto's in 200-220mmm, If I do a food show in the summer, I'll make sure I have some in this size. Would still be considered a large chefs knife by most home cooks in the uk. What would be considered a standard/large chef knife size in Singapore?

Generally, the ladies prefer 18cm. Men 21cm. We tend to be smaller and shorter and we do have small hands. Most women are uncomfortable with the 24cm . Petrified at the sight of 27cm knives!

I dont see 21cm being offered by custom makers Majority of knives bought in the stores here are 18 and 21 cm. Isnt that the case in UK also??

rgds
d

Certainly shop bought chef knives are about 200mm. Its quite hard to find a 240mm chef knife in the uk actually. Yep your right I need a 200mm chef knife to get people interested in hand made kitchen knives. The large knives just don't seem practical to those who have not tried them?

Certainly shop bought chef knives are about 200mm. Its quite hard to find a 240mm chef knife in the uk actually. Yep your right I need a 200mm chef knife to get people interested in hand made kitchen knives. The large knives just don't seem practical to those who have not tried them?

1. Looks like you are catering to them ladies.. They are terrified of pointy stuff in case they get poked.SO you have to consider your profile. Your survey is right. I think some german makers do not have 210mm but 200mm.

Being shorter, you may also have to reconsider the handle for the balance.. not fat handles too.

2.I am most ready to try a piece for my grandma...

3. NOt being very familiar with knives.. the first thing they look at is the appeal and then the balance. Due to bad experience any too pointy stuff does does not turn them on..

KIndly let me know

rgds
d

Hey Will

Being a new store front, and to move you to seriously consider a 210mm, I would like to confirm 2 pieces.

a) For grandma.. 210mm, handle lighter color with a stark contrast or something akin to your red amboyna, smaller and shorter handle.
b) for me a 210mm, usual pointy profile; , darker color wood with contrast. This way, she will stay away from my knife and easier to differentiate.

Once you confirm, I will let you know the Maximum length of the handle for the she-knife

rgds
D

David, you have a pm:D
Many thanks
Will
Pesky, your wee parer is now on route.:biggrin:

Generally, the ladies prefer 18cm. Men 21cm. We tend to be smaller and shorter and we do have small hands. Most women are uncomfortable with the 24cm . Petrified at the sight of 27cm knives!

I dont see 21cm being offered by custom makers Majority of knives bought in the stores here are 18 and 21 cm. Isnt that the case in UK also??

rgds
d

Yes that's definitely true. I've honestly never seen a 240 in a shop and if you look at tv chefs here, I've never seen them with a 240. It is usually an 18cm gyuto or a santoku or something like that, usually with grantons :scared4:

I prefer a 240 myself, but I like to use the biggest tool possible at work. My wife likes to use the smallest knife possible. It might be a female brain/male brain thing. Ladies IME use an 8"/210mm for their all-rouder, men like a 10"/240. Pros need as many knives as they can possibly carry/justify.

David, you have a pm:D
Many thanks
Will
Pesky, your wee parer is now on route.:biggrin:

Man I am getting sl0oooow. congratulations to Pesky as to the new toy.

Pmed my handle/neck specs.

hv a nice week-end

Latest posts

Back