Quantcast
Some Damascus Paring Knives
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Damascus Paring Knives

Some Damascus Paring Knives

I made five of these a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit the main object was to make something fairly cost efficiently with some left over materials for my market stall. I ended up spending longer than I would have wanted on them, but really enjoyed making them They are all about the 100mm mark. About 2mm at the back, with loads of taper to a very fine point. I convexed the faces slightly but less than I would on a larger knife. All but two sold, I've pinched one and there is one left if anyone is interested drop me a pm or e-mail. Feedback on the profile etc would be much appreciated as I would like to make a mk2 version in more lavish materials at some point.
    This was the batch, don't think I had fixed the handles on at this point or polished the highs on the etch.

Very cool. What is the wood on the one all the way at the bottom in the first picture?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Thanks Johnny, you know i'm not 100% sure as it was a bag off bits and pieces but I think elm burl. The ferrules are all blackwood.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Thanks Johnny, you know i'm not 100% sure as it was a bag off bits and pieces but I think elm burl. The ferrules are all blackwood.
    lets hope it looks as good in the hand as it does in the picture.

Well snaggled Pesky, i'm sure you'll love it. Looks like I had better make some more of these.
    Found some more pictures of your one

I really like those. Something like that may also open a broader market and appeal to someone who likes to looks and quality but is not comfortable with a big blade. Also could be good gifts for foodies.

Thanks dude, yep I originally made them for the market because allot of home cooks only seem to want to use a paring knife for everything, they loved the look of my bigger knives but generally considered them too large for their needs.
    Mass fashion for kitchen knives, (if you could call it that), here in the uk seems on the short side. Most chef knives seem no more than 200mm. I've got a taste for something a bit bigger myself, since hanging out here.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

I've got a taste for something a bit bigger myself, since hanging out here.
    Too easy to make a joke there
    OT: I really like the kiritsuke tip thing you've got going on.

Thanks dude, yep I originally made them for the market because allot of home cooks only seem to want to use a paring knife for everything, they loved the look of my bigger knives but generally considered them too large for their needs.
    Mass fashion for kitchen knives, (if you could call it that), here in the uk seems on the short side. Most chef knives seem no more than 200mm. I've got a taste for something a bit bigger myself, since hanging out here.
    Jus curious..Generally which market is bigger for knife makers?? the 210mm or the 240mm

rgds

Im not sure its a question of which Market is bigger, but which is prepared to spend custom money on knives. I'm certainly up for doing some more funyaki shape Gyuto's in 200-220mmm, If I do a food show in the summer, I'll make sure I have some in this size. Would still be considered a large chefs knife by most home cooks in the uk. What would be considered a standard/large chef knife size in Singapore?

+ Reply to Thread