Quantcast
I now know why I never use a work knife.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I now know why I never use a work knife.

I now know why I never use a work knife.

Well seeings how I just happen to catch the guy who does our knife sharpening, (note I bring my own knives) and I figured why not see what these things are like fresh off the what ever the hell they use. So was prepping out the last thing on my to do list: 6 roman lettuces simply cut into salad style, (I know it's not technical name but it will work) OK, so normally I use either my TKC or addict seeings there a lot of wet carp around my station and as you know both are nice cutters, making light work of this task. But enter the 8 in junk chef's knife ground to I'm guessing 500 grit???? Where as my knives use damn near no pressure, even fresh the kitchen knives I have to use a sawing motion, and I can feel how rough the edge is on the product. If I were mowing a lawn, then I would be fine with it, but since its lettuce rough cut= faster browning. So in short will I ever use one of those things again? Hell no. There is a good reason why many of the people at my work like my knives and such. And why a few people ask me if I would sharpen all of the knives at work.

Haha. That's better than what I have to work with at other people's homes sometimes. Are you sure it's just the sharpening job though?

Yeah, I've seen a whole lot of the work. The edge will last maybe a day the people who use them tell me, where mine will last about a week, (taken to very lightly 6K stropped)

Yeah once I learned what a decent edge really is I never use house knives anymore. I also end up being the in house sharpener at most places after a few months

Salad greens last a few hours. Cut by me, they last a few hours more.

Thankfully, I don't cut salad greens anymore.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

+ Reply to Thread