Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    I strongly disagree with this...The reason for their testing is to see that the person has the capability to make said knife ALL by hand...To allow this to happen would go against every thing the ABS stands for. I think some of the test methods are archaic, but it is still all about the forged, HAND made blade....It isn't about cheaper...It is about an aquired skill. And to be allowed in a JS or MS test is absurd.

Mike
    + + a whole bunch

Any growing trend of custom kitchen knives to a broader market (see popularity) may be fresh, but in the realm of overall custom knives, this ground has long since been trod by multitudes of very talented and learned craftsmen...

Ditto, but that to me is an inherent difference with forged knives.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    I strongly disagree with this...The reason for their testing is to see that the person has the capability to make said knife ALL by hand...To allow this to happen would go against every thing the ABS stands for. I think some of the test methods are archaic, but it is still all about the forged, HAND made blade....It isn't about cheaper...It is about an aquired skill. And to be allowed in a JS or MS test is absurd.

Mike
    Mike,
    I am surprised you didn't picked my statement as a sarcasm that was really directed at one person - AJ.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Mike,
    I am surprised you didn't picked my statement as a sarcasm that was really directed at one person - AJ.
    Oops lol! sorry, i was in a hurry and apparently didn't get the context

I don't make knives, I just buy them, so bear with me. This is intended only to be a comment on art and commerce.
    Among the many catalogs that fell through the mail slot today was one from Sur la Table, wherein I was offered the opportunity to buy one of 250 carbon damascus chef's knives. each "certified by Bob Kramer to meet his exacting standards without compromise. Each "perfectly riveted handle" finished with a stainless steel center pin "handcrafted by Bob Kramer himself". All for the low price of only $1,799.95 (value $2,100).
    Maybe Bob Kramer really was born to a clown.

" . .born to [I]be[I] a clown". Or, perhaps he's just really deep into self-parody. Maybe he should consider marketing stick-on dots which look like pins, so folks could put them on their German knives and say, "I have a "Kramer".
    Of the knives I own, the ones I value most are hand made; three Carters, and three Sadayusas. Coincidentally, they are also the ones that work best. Knives line up in my block(s) in the order in which I use them; those six are on the left. I have a lot of knives which look better, are more symmetric etc., but they're just knives.
    Case in point: I have a couple DT-ITK's, which are fine knives for the money, but if I were shopping now, I'd wait for the apparently soon-to-be available lines of "mid-techs" from every knife maker on the planet.
    One of my favorite possessions is a small 160 year-old rug from Beluchistan. It was made by a young girl a long time ago, and now hangs over my bed. I have a number of finer rugs, but none of which I cherish more.
    I have no doubt that technically better knives can be made by robots, but who cares. If I just wanted stuff cut, I'd pay someone to do it. Put your name on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Mike,
    Classy.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Classy.

-AJ
    Not in confrontational way, if you have noted.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

On a subject of commercial heat-treating. Kramer Henckels chef in 52100 factory heat treated to Bob's specs (imagine state of the art HT room at Henckels factory) was outperformed in commercial kitchen by a knife heat treated by an amateur maker with a very basic HT setup (Evenheat electric oven, peanut oil, LN) but the heat treatment recipe was provided by an experienced maker. I don't discagree that outsourcing makes a good sense from business-standpoint, but it also comes with a price.

M

If the HT'ing is done in a professional setup, to the specified request of the maker, and tested, prior to final release, the - comes with a price - is a moot point. As Bill said, if he isn't happy with the professional HT, he will do it himself. I equate "happy" with "tested".

Consider this... if Henckels heat treated the kramer knives, the same way they heat treat their own knives, is it a surprise that a back yard maker was able to do better? From all I have read on the forums, Henckels, Forstner, Sabitier etc, on of the biggest complaints has been HT, and weight.

Again, my thoughts.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com