Quantcast
Hair vs. tomatoes...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair vs. tomatoes...

Hair vs. tomatoes...

I've been sharpening now for about 2.5 years as a home cook... and I feel my edges are getting better all the time. I can make a very sharp edge, I'm currently hunting for retention (I can make a nice sharp edge, but it's "gone" after 2-4 cutting sessions -- as in noticeably deteriorates, it's still sharp by most people standards).

Beyond that, though, I've been having an issue. My knives can easily shave hair but won't fall through a tomato. No matter what condition they're in -- if I just finished a sharpening session, they won't and if it's been a month or so, they just sit right on top and laugh at me, but they can still shave. What's going on here? Anyone have a bloody clue? It also doesn't matter which knife I'm using.

I'll take a ponder and firstly ask, why knives are you using? I'd imagine if it wasn't thin behind the edge its not going to fall through a tomato!

What is your sharpening process? What stone do you finish on? Do you strop, if so, on what? What knives/steels are you using?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Two things are particularly important here: bevel angles and the alignment of the teeth on your edge. You need low angles and very light stropping and you'll be fine, as long as you're just kissing the edge.

Yeah, we need mas informacion. Knives you are using, the sharpening progression and your cutting board.

I was talking about the tomato part. I forgot the edge retention part. That is more complicated.

Sounds intriguing. If the blade was slipping off the tomato that would be an easy fix but if it won't cut it well that's different. Perhaps you're sharpening at too high an angle? Guess we won't know until you give a little more info

I think the OP means this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5AzvQW8lg

Can someone please explain why they need knifes that sharp? I just sharpened my knife using 1000 grit, 5000 grit and raw leather as stropping. Result: a very sharp gyuto that worked extremely well in my kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Peco View Post
    Can someone please explain why they need knifes that sharp? I just sharpened my knife using 1000 grit, 5000 grit and raw leather as stropping. Result: a very sharp gyuto that worked extremely well in my kitchen.
    It's the difference between "need" and "want". I want to have knives that sharp. I like to sharpen and the tomato test is a good one.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.