Quantcast
Why do most factory edges suck?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do most factory edges suck?

Why do most factory edges suck?

I don't get this....

if you're a knife maker and you want your knives to sell and earn a good reputation from knife nuts and normal knife users, why would you put (as we describe here in KKF) a factory edge that suck?

Why not put an edge that would impress even the nuttiest of nuts here?

Is it because they're putting edges that are more obtuse, so that it'll last longer?

Or blades that are thicker than they are suppose to be, so that it'll be more durable?

Cause I don't believe those guys can't put a great edge in their knives... I bet my money that they can.... But they just chose not to go all out on their sharpening... Or is it because it's time consuming?

What do you guys think?

What knives do you think comes OOTB with a killer edge? but at the same time is exceptionally made...

I think its because the edge we love is crazier than what you actually need. For most people that OOTB edge would be perfect!

1. So it is easy to put your own edge on it.
    2. The are knife makers, not chefs or sharpeners.
    3. So it doesn't fail and piss off the verbal minority.

It won't be easy to find an edge that suits all users; therefore it would just raise costs without a real benefit.

I always figured most Japanese makers didn't put an edge on their knives because in their culture, most chefs and people sharpen themselves and would rather put on their own....so it would take time/money to do, yet would be resharpened anyways by the customer. Obviously there are exceptions such as Carter and other makers/brands that do put on a satisfactory edge out of the box.

Can't comment on the North American makers knives though...do they sharpen before shipping? My only experience is a DT ITK from the original batch and it didn't have much of an edge to start with.

It has never really bothered me, as I like to put my own edge on immediately upon receiving a new knife...however, if you asked me about 2.5 years ago, I'm sure it would of been more important for it to arrive sharp.

I think it is nice if a knife comes with a good edge OOTB but it doesn't really matter. It is sorta like having a nice box, it is a nice final touch but it isn't a big deal

Last time I encountered a nice edge was with a Misono Swedish Carbon: well polished convexed edge but I didn't ask for a 35 degree inclusive angle. And the shoulders weren't removed.

I think it is a matter of time and money spent when: Some makers do expect you to put the edge you want one it. Many know you'll put your edge on it anyways, and some probably know that, the semi ok edge will be fine for most of the people buying the knife in the first place.

As a maker, I didn't have a lot of sharpening equipment to do a crazy edge. Now I am aquiring stuff to do a really nice, stropped edge aand all of my knives will be shipped as sharp as I can get them OOTB. I know a LOT of chefs like to do the edges the way that suits them, but I figure if you can do a nice edge, why not?

In our litigious society if a knife is really sharp the maker could get sued for letting the customer cut themselves.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread