Quantcast
50/50? 60/40? 70/30? 80/20? 90/10? or 99/1? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50/50? 60/40? 70/30? 80/20? 90/10? or 99/1?

I go asymmetrical on purpose because I find it easier, but usually more of an 80/20 in the name of durability. I do like the performance of 90/10 or 99/1, but haven't found the trade of in durability my thing so I sacrifice the small gain in pure performance for better longevity.

When I used to try for 50/50 in came out 60/40 - 70/30 anyway so I decided to take it a touch further.

Quote Originally Posted by karloevaristo View Post
    I never handled a 99/1 before... is the stirring really noticeable?
    It won't really be that good for stirring anything, but it will steer a bit.

It depends on the knife and how asymmetric the geometry is (if one face is more convex than the other), and what you are cutting. But yeah, it can be quite noticeable.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I used to like a 99/1 edge then I discovered that they all have different purposes. On knives that touch only raw meat, I like 50/50 since there is no wedging, if its vegies I am cutting I like 99/1 and really thin knives, if its hard veggies something more substantial.

For all around I like something like 70/30 gives me the best balance of edge toughness, sharpness and less wedging. Theres always a tradeoff, some knives offer better tradeoffs due to the steel but I have still to find a knife that can give me all the characteristics I like.

my knives start around 60/40, because that's mostly how they come to me. but then they all tend towards 90/10-99/1 because I'm just too lazy to sharpen on both sides...

On my gyutos I do 50/50 - I use the full blase-length sweep method to sharpen (mostly) and I count-down my strokes on each side, so I'm quite certain the bevels on each side are {nearly} identical.

On my 300 suji, OOTB it appeared to be shapened 99/1 for a rightie, so I continued to sharpen it that way. I wanted it to be as sharp as possible, and I thought the 99/1 edge would be sharper than a 50/50 edge. And it is noticeably sharper than the gyuto of the same steel w/ a 50/50 edge. For small-ish slicing tasks, like portioning a salmon fillet or slicing chicken breast or beef for a stir-fry, I had no issues w/ the 99/1 bevel. However, when I came to slicing something larger, particularly pineapple, the steering was a problem for me. I could not cut the top and bottom ends off of a pineapple and have the cuts square to the long axis. Same w/ making long vertical cut top to bottom when I stood it on end.

I've since sharpened the left side more to try to alleviate some of the steering, so now it's porlly like a 70/30. Since it's not summer any longer, I've not taken it to any pineapples to see fi the steering is lessened.

Well keep use posted, fer cryin' out loud!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Can't comment on which one is better, but I certainly wanna see a person who will grind 99/1 freehand

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Can't comment on which one is better, but I certainly wanna see a person who will grind 99/1 freehand
    What other way is there? I generally do something along the 90/10 range. I have a couple of knives that I've put a so-called 99/1 bevel on, where the right bevel for a right-hander is huge (mine are 1/3 or more up the right face of the blade.). The steering can be a major problem on a 99/1 when splitting thick, hard objects, for example (depending on how much curvature there is on your convex) but they work great for anything on the thinner side. Pretty much all Japanese knives are asymmetrically ground and that is really going to be a much larger effect than the tiny bevels on most edges.

if my grind is 50/50 then thats how i piut the edge on (least i tery to )
    if i make a single bevel thenn its 99/1 sharpen then deberl the back