Quantcast
Stolen Idea
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Idea

Stolen Idea

I was reading up on some straight razor info and I came across an interesting method of keeping pitting at bay that I think would work great for carbon lovers like myself and many others. If you store your knife in the box, why not toss a couple silica gel packets down by the handle? I know the stuff is "poison", but if it's down by the handle, it should absorb moisture while it's pretty far away from the blade.
    Has anyone tried this? If so, did it work/warp/not warp your handle?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I was reading up on some straight razor info and I came across an interesting method of keeping pitting at bay that I think would work great for carbon lovers like myself and many others. If you store your knife in the box, why not toss a couple silica gel packets down by the handle? I know the stuff is "poison", but if it's down by the handle, it should absorb moisture while it's pretty far away from the blade.
    Has anyone tried this? If so, did it work/warp/not warp your handle?

About 10 years ago there was a story on Bladeforums of a guy that went in the service and packed away his knife collection with these packets and upon his return found the collection literally destroyed with rust galore. I remember some "expert" commenting that the packets needed to be made sure that they were dry before using them because they would introduce moisture into the container themselves. Is this true or BS? I can't say, just tellin' a story here.

If someone wants a surefire method of keeping rust at bay for long term storage on carbon knives I can give you my 100% recommendation for the combination of Flitz followed by Renaissance Wax. I've had a collection of vintage and modern carbon knives in storage units, basements, garages, and attics for over 15 years and not a speck of rust on any of them. Tried and proven

you could also go with vci/anti-rust paper. there was a group buy on these in another era.
    http://www.uline.com/BL_5250/VCI-Anti-Rust-Paper

Thread on Long Term Storage

Don't use gel packets for any kind of long term carbon storage. They are for very short term use. Once they become saturated they start giving off moisture.

For short term storage, you can spray them with Boeshield T-9.
    For long term storage, VCI (paper, foam, emitters) is the only way to go.

Somewhere I have a link to test results using oils and greases. The rusting would scare you.

Dave,

That's too wrong.

Shoot! I was going to send them to Hawaii to be held onto. Time for plan b....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    About 10 years ago there was a story on Bladeforums of a guy that went in the service and packed away his knife collection with these packets and upon his return found the collection literally destroyed with rust galore. I remember some "expert" commenting that the packets needed to be made sure that they were dry before using them because they would introduce moisture into the container themselves. Is this true or BS? I can't say, just tellin' a story here.
    i use the same kind of silica gel in my cigar humidor. if they are damp they will absolutely humidify the air in the enclosure, thus causing the rust problems mentioned.