Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Midtech's

I think this is a great idea as it puts a Burke with in buying range of the working chef!

So let's brake down what makes a Burke the Best.
    1 skillfully forged to shape blade.

Best convex ground knife in the world! True talent, gift from the gods that no machine can replicate.

Superior heat treat, again talent and skill

Great geometry, ultra thin without compromising strength

Looks! This one is in the eye of the beholder but this beholder thinks that this is the biggest " edge" that Bill holds over other top end makers. I have handled top $$ Kramers and side by side Bill makes a better looking blade. Top that with superior edge retention. My Burke vs Kramer round 2 review is long over do. This time it's two chef knives side by side and It's apparent Bill has learned a few more tricks since he made my suji.

So now let's see what you get in a mid tec:

Still the Burke grind, we may louse that forged to shape magic but it's a needed loss to keep the blade affordable. I for one don't think much will be loosed by the water jet cut blanks.

Custom heat treat. I might not be sold on this loss but as lone as Bill hand picks his out source heat treat to his specks ( triple quench ext) I think ther may...I sad may not be that big a deference. Bill will still inspect and test the blades for proper heat treatv( I think) . Farming this step out rather then having to heat treat each blade one at a time is a big time saver.

Looks, big loss but hell you got to save something for those of us that are lucky to have a custom. I for one would like to see a concealed tang western handle on these. I have a few ideas for this that I will be running by Bill. One involves a sheep horn looking micarta.

Last comment is on the first come first serve or lottery method of sealing these.
    First come first serve sounds like the best way, but maybe do a lottery for the 2nd batch? Also note that the #13's belong to me, no arguments on this one.

Keeping a few blade blanks to do a more custom knife I.e custom handle, you grinde and heat treat might be a nice way to go for a mid tec + knife. Maybe do 1- 3 knives this way per batch and auction them? #1, 13, and 25 come to mind

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Mr. Burke here can make and HT a knife a damn sight better than a Japanese Robot, and the market for the two will never overlap.
    I have to agree

Ive been thinking about this project for a couple of days. Its easy to get carried away with enthusiasm for Bill and this project, however Im more and more concerned about it. First of I would like to say that I admire Bill and his skills, but going into midtech, is not any longer supported by me.

First off:
    There are more and more makers jumping in an doing "kitchenknives", and of the 20-30 I have seen joining in just this year, I have to say that maybe one will become great. Bill is maybe one of the best knife makers that is. So competition is rising, cause a lot of people will ask them self why a mass-produced when I can get a custom to same price. We also know japanese knives are getting more popular, and the truth is that they are very good. Mizuno, Konesuke, Masamoto and others will make knives that probably will outperform most midtechs made in us.

We also Know Mark at C K T G, got something going on. Soon we will se Devins Bubblewrap damascus in his own chef line for 400-500 USD, and that is a real midtheck killer...

This forum is small, and the mass marked is however outside the forum.

Secondly:

How will this mid tech line affect your customers Bill?
    I know you make like 50 knives a year, some kitchen knives but also outdoor knives like hunters and bowies. Would you offer midtch bowies and hunters? Why would you offer mid tech kitchen knives while you not offer the same on other areas?

Bill, before doing this I really would like to say that your concept must be well thought of. Please do a SOFT analyze, and consider your customers.

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    I have to agree

Ive been thinking about this project for a couple of days. Its easy to get carried away with enthusiasm for Bill and this project, however Im more and more concerned about it. First of I would like to say that I admire Bill and his skills, but going into midtech, is not any longer supported by me.

First off:
    There are more and more makers jumping in an doing "kitchenknives", and of the 20-30 I have seen joining in just this year, I have to say that maybe one will become great. Bill is maybe one of the best knife makers that is. So competition is rising, cause a lot of people will ask them self why a mass-produced when I can get a custom to same price. We also know japanese knives are getting more popular, and the truth is that they are very good. Mizuno, Konesuke, Masamoto and others will make knives that probably will outperform most midtechs made in us.

We also Know Mark at C K T G, got something going on. Soon we will se Devins Bubblewrap damascus in his own chef line for 400-500 USD, and that is a real midtheck killer...

This forum is small, and the mass marked is however outside the forum.

Secondly:

I know you make like 50 knives a year, some kitchen knives but also outdoor knives like hunters and bowies. Would you offer midtch bowies and hunters? Why would you offer mid tech kitchen knives while you not offer the same on other areas?

Bill, before doing this I really would like to say that your concept must be well thought of. Please do a SOFT analyze, and consider your customers.
    I can think of a few.

Reach a market that can't afford his customs.

Let's say it takes Bill 100 hours to do a full custom. He works 10 hours a day 7 days a week on that knife that's 10 days to make one knife. 3000 knife/ 10days 300 a day or 30 a hour. If bill can finish let's say 25 knives in a week at 400 a knife that's 10k. 10K / 7 days = 1428 a day or 142.00 a hour, big pay rase!

Bill sales more knives/ makes mor money a year he can get out of the mines and go back to making knives full time. So that would give him more time to make customs

That knife will be made by lamson, don't care what steel you use still a lamson factory knife. Bill can poop out knives made from old beer cans better then those knives will ever be.

First: good idea, I'd go for a mid tec pronghorn (:
    2nd: sad to say but I would say maybe 1 in 100 knives bill makes gets used, rest just sit in a collectors display box. Very sad to here of knives not being used );
    Most knife makers want there knives used, if not they would call them selves sculptors.

I am down for any knife that performs as well as a full custom at a more accessible price. It's really a good deal if you ask me, as I have mentioned before I think the only real deal breaker would be quality control as in I want to have the custom maker check every knife that leaves with his name stamped on it which should take him maybe 5 min? that's still a lot of steel going out and making more people enjoy an excellent knife.

One day I am going to get the Burke extravaganza, until that day comes I can't wait for his midtechs.

I am down regardless.

I think it's worthwhile. I'm looking forward to hearing about the process once it's underway, and I'll be happy to play with a pass-around copy -- but I'll need a full custom Burke as well for camparison!

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    I think it's worthwhile. I'm looking forward to hearing about the process once it's underway, and I'll be happy to play with a pass-around copy -- but I'll need a full custom Burke as well for compensation!
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    That knife will be made by lamson, don't care what steel you use still a lamson factory knife. Bill can poop out knives made from old beer cans better then those knives will ever be.
    Maybe so, but will it make a difference? Apparently, there are a lot of people willing to buy German knives because they come with a pin made by Bob Kramer, and a piece of paper that says it's OK.
    Slap on some DT bubble-wrap damascus and you could probably sell tin foil to that crowd.