Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Midtech's

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.

Midtech's

The midtech Idea has kind of taken over the pass around thread so I decided to start this one.

since many of you seem to be asking about midtech I thought that I would let every one know my ideas. First there are some great people out there patiently waiting for their customs. THANK YOU GUYS. Be sure that I will not forget you. Second I will not get into doing orders for midtechs If need be They will be raffled if not they will just be sold first come first served. I will notify every one one the boards when a batch is finished and give ao long for everyone to jump into the pool then the knives will be sold. if anyone has a better idea for fair distribution I would love to hear it.

The knives will be water jet cut and possibly comercially heat treated I am also looking at having the rough grinding done, but worry that this will move these knives more into the production area instead of the mid tech area. the handles will be purchased from an outside source. I will then do the grinding either all of it or just the finish to get a convex blade and a sharp edge and then a machine hand rubbed finish will be put on the blades and then they will be assembled and sharpened. I plan on only doing batches of 25 every three months.

Bill I think it is a heckuva Idea. Haveing had a table near you at a few shows your Kitchen knives garner so much interest that I don't see how it could go wrong.

thanks Erik

After thinking about it, I think I want a Burke because the knives are pretty much legendary and you do your HT differently than everyone else. I'm not sure I'd really think of these as Burkes, per se.

I would worry about shipping out the blades for HT. The reason why i first heard of you was because of your superior HT of 52100. I'm still interseted though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphex View Post
    I would worry about shipping out the blades for HT. The reason why i first heard of you was because of your superior HT of 52100. I'm still interseted though.
    I am still going to make Hand forged full customs for anyone who wants one. I am thinking about the midtech's more as a bridge to a full on custom that a replacement for them.

That's a great idea. There are folks that want the full Bill Burke experience, and the joy of having a knife made with/by you personally, and a mid-tech knife should and will never replace that. Luckily, Mr. Burke, you are in a class of craftsman that can't be beaten out by a machine, so there will always be a market for both.

thanks Eamon.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    ...Luckily, Mr. Burke, you are in a class of craftsman that can't be beaten out by a machine, so there will always be a market for both.
    Haha. You are certainly in the running for brownest nose.

Well I'm certainly not one to decide that I have the right to condescend to a collection of craftsman with over a century of combined experience in a high performance, specialized field just because I am standing in the room.

But the point I was making was that Mr. Burke here can make and HT a knife a damn sight better than a Japanese Robot, and the market for the two will never overlap.