Quantcast
Christmas Gift
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas Gift

Christmas Gift

Hi everyone,
    This is my first time posting, and I don't know where to start, but basically I really would like to get some feedback on some knives that I've been looking at for my husband. He loves to cook but we've never been able to afford a suitable knife to use. I would like to start his collection, but am unsure of where to begin.
    I know that he really loves japanese knives- especially the look of the damascus steel. I've been doing some searching and was recommended Global by a friend, which I realize is not damascus, but I also came across Miyabi Kaizen, Tojiro Senkou, and Kanetsune Hammered Damascus.

I know that my husband will be using the knife mainly as a multi-purpose knife to begin with, so chopping vegetables etc...

I would appreciate any suggestions or information.
    Thanks so much!

The Tojiro design appears to be gimmicky. I've been pleasantly impressed by the Miyabi lines, in general but I have to give the nod to the Kanetsune. I tested one from Japanese Chefs Knife with an octagonal handle and I found it to be a very good performer. I tend to favor 19c27 over vg10, as well.

I found the knife I tested. It's sold as Inazuma: http://japanesechefsknife.com/SPECIALS.html.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    The Tojiro design appears to be gimmicky. I've been pleasantly impressed by the Miyabi lines, in general but I have to give the nod to the Kanetsune. I tested one from Japanese Chefs Knife with an octagonal handle and I found it to be a very good performer. I tend to favor 19c27 over vg10, as well.
    +1 to kanetsune. for the same reason as well. Friend of mine has both and I love the look of the miyabi's but the thought of VG irks me! While both knives will be upgrades to your current set, the Kanetsune is my preference.

welcome!

Stace! Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Stace

I think the first thing is pick western handle or traditional japanese handle. You said general purpose so i would suggest a gyuto, next thing is size, 210 is small, 240 is about right and 270 is probably to big for first knife. Therefore a 240 mm Gyuto would be ideal. Dont want to state the obvious but you are aware that most Japanese knives are designed specifically for right or left handed people.

If you pick the western style the following Kanetsune is a great knife, it comes incredibly sharp and is very well made for $149, i have the 210 version and it is a great knife that equals others ( kikuichi ) that sell for double.

http://japan-blades.com/category/che...le/gyuto/240mm

http://japan-blades.com/chef-knives/2542.html

If you pick the Japanese handle I would suggest going with the knife tk59 suggests, the Inazuma is a great value knife. As a western alternative you could also look at the Gekko line from JCK, im not sure how they would compare to the Kanetsune, maybe someone else could add here.

For a first knife I would not get to caught up in the steel type, as long as you keep in a stainless finish of some type you will be fine.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I found the knife I tested. It's sold as Inazuma: http://japanesechefsknife.com/SPECIALS.html.
    Thank you so much! I will definitely check out the Kanetsune again- it looked to be a very beautiful knife!

Quote Originally Posted by jm2hill View Post
    +1 to kanetsune. for the same reason as well. Friend of mine has both and I love the look of the miyabi's but the thought of VG irks me! While both knives will be upgrades to your current set, the Kanetsune is my preference.
    Thank you! I will definitely go back to the Kanetsune!

+ Reply to Thread