First Vintage Chef's knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Fed

Reaction score
Scored this little beauty off the bay. I've had a newer sab in that past and wasn't really a fan of the soft stainless that it was constructed of, yet I love carbon, and I love the traditional sab profile... It's pretty much perfect for me. It seemes to be in pretty good shape, and was toying with the idea of sending it off to Dave after a little fun time at work with it to get a sexy re-handle job done. I'd hate to loose those grapes though. We will have to see after a little play time with her how I feel. On to the pictures. ( taken by the seller )

12147576.jpg

12147575.jpg

12147577.jpg

12147578.jpg

12147579.jpg

12147580.jpg

Very cool. With all the Sab love around here, I've been thinking about acquiring a couple, as well.

I have always loved vintage knives. Nice score!

those grapes look imprinted into the wood. if it is enough you *may* be able to LIGHTLY sand the area and properly sand the rest to refinish the handle while keeping the grapes.

Nice score :knife:

Very cool. I'm still a little upset with myself for waiting too long to order a 10" Nogent from The Best Things. I read one too many warnings about bent blades and figured whatever few they had left in stock must have been the worst of the lot, but...

Are you going to clean up the blade and start over with a patina all your own or leave it as is?

I was planning on leaving the patina as long as there is no rusting/ pitting. Who would want to erase all that history? but having a go on refinishing the handle... sanding/ oiling and what not. I've refinished handles on vintage pocket knives this way in the past and they turned out great. If I could find a maker to make this exact knife, pending thickness, in Aogami Super I would probably have my dream knife.

I like the looks of that patina, but if it were me, I would be tempted to strip it and start over developing it on my own. I love the Sabatier profile too; very elegant. How long is it? And what did it set you back? (if you don't mind me asking).

The blade is 9 1/2 in. long. juuuust right. It wasn't too bad though I could have gotten it for less I feel, but I got caught up in a bidding war with a fairly agressive bidder. I paid 127 and change for it, wich really isn't too bad because I've seen the same knife go for 160+ on the bay.

Money well spent. Post some pics if you decide to try and refinish that handle (or better yet, have a nice custom job put on it!)

Looks like a beauty. I've seen those grapes before, but I can't remember, particularly, the provenance. The info is on-line, I'm sure. What's with wanting something out of the handle? Looks *really* good to me, maybe it needs oiling. Maybe one of the rivets needs to be abraded down (flush) with the wood handle. The profile looks beautiful; the patina looks beautiful. Sharpen the edge to 15-degrees (or so) per side and see how it cuts. I'll bet you're gonna freak out at how good it is.

Very cool. With all the Sab love around here, I've been thinking about acquiring a couple, as well.
If you'd like to borrow mine, just so you have some experience to make a decision... let me know. AND especially if you'd like to borrow mine and take down the bolster/finger-guards... (!). I don't trust the guy I know with the belt-sander in the truck nearly as much as I do you!

I have a 10" chef's, a 6" slicer/petty, and a parer.

Btw, no requirement to mess with the bolster. You'll want to sharpen to something finer than the condition mine are in, but you're welcome to do that. Let me know -- I'll part with them for a month (or two) just for your edification, and in gratitude for past services for dad. I'll want them back, of course, but you'll get to know if you really want your own within that time-frame, I assume!

I'm holding some fairly high expectations, though I'm going to try not to judge too harshly because my all of my gyutos, konosuke white #2 ( a 210 and a 270 ), a glestain 240, hiromoto 240, tojiro 210 ( line knife ), and the gyutos that I once had but passed on to friends and co-workers, an akifusa 240, mizuno 240, Masahiro virgin carbon 240, and an sakai takayuki wa grand cheff 240, were fantastic cutters.

I've refurbished handles with imprints like that without removing them. It can be done! Excellent score!

i read somewhere that since Sab's are so soft, that steels will actually remove metal from them, which would make sense as to why the whole "steels sharpen" thing got started since everything used to be carbon. i just ordered 4 Sabatier-K's (new ones, vintage is too pricey), lookin forward to playing with them.

If you'd like to borrow mine, just so you have some experience to make a decision... let me know. AND especially if you'd like to borrow mine and take down the bolster/finger-guards... (!). I don't trust the guy I know with the belt-sander in the truck nearly as much as I do you!

I have a 10" chef's, a 6" slicer/petty, and a parer.

Btw, no requirement to mess with the bolster. You'll want to sharpen to something finer than the condition mine are in, but you're welcome to do that. Let me know -- I'll part with them for a month (or two) just for your edification, and in gratitude for past services for dad. I'll want them back, of course, but you'll get to know if you really want your own within that time-frame, I assume!
Thanks for the offer, Wags! I might just take you up on that. :) BTW, how is your Pop liking his knife now that he's had it for a while?

He's a very happy cutter! Super grateful. Him and me. F'realz.

Very cool. Personally, I would do as little a possible to it.

Back