Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which steel

I've used alot of steels (steel, diamond, ceramic) over the years and the 3 that I currently have hanging on my wall are the HA glass, HA fine ceramic, and F.Dick polished oval.

As already mentioned by a couple above, the fine ceramic does not leave an obnoxious scratch pattern like some of the other ceramics. The only down side is that with lots of use on soft steels it does clog up and needs to be cleaned. Sometimes the availability (or lack there of) of Hand American products can be problematic. So FYI: believe that Dale from Edgepro sells the same rods. I got one from him to give to my sister and it was identical to my HA aside from handle color.

The HA borosilicate "glass" rod is really nice and a big favorite on here. However, cost and availability may be issues. A couple months ago there was another similar thread and Dave mentioned that you can fine borosilicate glass rods online front lab supply places for a few bucks and the its just an issue of scoring the surface using sand paper and attaching a handle.
    What parrent doesn't like somthing made by their kid to hang on the fridge/wall?
    You can try to struggle with this she's search feature or just talk to Dave.

Lastly, the F.Dick smooth oval or "Dick Polish" (as it says on the handle) is the newest in my collection. I original got it just b/c it was a great deal and I wanted a travel and "beater" steel that was less fragile than the HA glass. This thing has exceeded my expectations: built like anti-zombie ordinance and finished very nicely. It might not be as good as the glass for the really had stuff, but it feels really nice on soft carbon. The only issue might be giving your dad "Dick Polish" in front of the family.
    I havn't used it, but HA does also make a smooth steel that does look as cool, but is very hard and about 1/2 the price of the FD at CKTG.

Hope this helps!

the Dick Polish might be fun who doesn't like receiving a Dick Polish for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Idahone! That's who makes the one I use. It's great, and not remotely a polisher. It leaves a scratch pattern duller than my Shapton GS 500. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I made a knife from a machete blade(some cheapo crap carbon steel) and once the edge bevel was cut in, the steel is soft enough to be kept up solely with this thing, and it cuts pretty dang good. If people have Sabatiers, Wusthofs, Henckels, Chicago Cutlery, etc, and want improvement for less than $100, I suggest they just buy an Idahone rod and keep up with them on it, especially the easy-to-abrade carbon steels.
    Yeah Idahone! That's the name both HA/CKTG and edgrpro sell it. I total agree w/ your comments: great choice for people w/ softer steel who don't want alot of sharpening gear.

Also, it sounds like someone has been holding out on pictures of his McGuyvered hatchet-blade knife... we need to see the...er... scratch pattern from the hone...yeah, thats it...

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    the Dick Polish might be fun who doesn't like receiving a Dick Polish for Christmas.
    I get a few chuckles from my Dick Polish, lol. I like it but it is too smooth to do anything other than realigning. I find that I use it less and less. Still a nice steel. Just don't expect it to liven up an edge. It just coaxes what's left of your edge back to true.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Also, it sounds like someone has been holding out on pictures of his McGuyvered hatchet-blade knife... we need to see the...er... scratch pattern from the hone...yeah, thats it...
    LOL it DOES have a camo handle, but no. It's overground and has 60 grit belt scuffs in it. It's somewhat embarrassing!