Quantcast
Another rehandle - blade i made at Will C's - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another rehandle - blade i made at Will C's

Cheers for the comments. Biggest thing i found making this handle is the effort needed to try and keep everything symmetrical, this one is quite a way off but it felt right in my hand so i stopped. In future i'll probably shape the side profile before starting to round everything.

It's good fun playing about with handles, and as i'm the only on using them most of the time if they fail it's not that big a deal as i'll learn something and have an excuse to make another.....

The glue bond is quite strong, had an offcut from the end of the stack that i sawed off before shaping and it took a few whacks with a hammer to separate so i'm hopeful that it won't come apart in normal use.

Haha, my Mora gets used for everything, love that knife-gets a lot of (ab)use

I have talked to guys who owned or worked on cold molded custom fishing boats and they say that they have cut plugs out of 40 year old epoxied cold molded hulls that had been taken care of properly (multiple layers of mahogany or similar wood glued together to for a "monocoque" hull that does not need frames for bracing") and they said that their was no degradation whatsoever. The only fasteners that are used in the process are bronze nails or staples to get the wood into place in order to glue it up. They are removed once the planking sets up. My personal experience on knives this size is that epoxy alone of more than strong enough. With that said, If I am not using a pin, I will created kind of a "mechanical connection" by notching the tang a few times on the end with a dremel tool or drilling a couple of holes in it. if you look at some of the take down knives that guys are making with stag handles, they get most of their structural rigidity by coating the tang with wax, Vaseline, mold release compound or teflon tape and pouring epoxy down into the piece of stag with the knife rounghly assembled. Once it cures, you just pull the tang out and finish the knife. It fits tightly with no wobble and will slide right apart. Karl Anderson actually passed the ABS JS perfromance test with a take down knife. Why? Well, he is a bit crazy, but it worked.