What would you like to see in damascus

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
I know I have a bunch of projects going on at the moment, some of those ideas were my own and some were suggested by others. I would like to hear what you would like to see from me in the future, I am confident in my gyuto design, and I will be doing more of those, but I would also like to do some other knife designs. (even a pink handled santuko :cool: ) Pics would help too.
Also any other cool kitchen tools you would like to see.
Thanks,

Hi Del,

You may have already done it and I've missed it but I'd like to see your Damascus used as cladding over a carbon core. Maybe using stainless Damascus with a nice etch to colour the core?

John

Hi Del,

You may have already done it and I've missed it but I'd like to see your Damascus used as cladding over a carbon core. Maybe using stainless Damascus with a nice etch to colour the core?

Jon

Jon,
I have not done any knives with a carbon core yet. I will be making some stainless damascus knives in the future with a solid AEB-L core. I have only ever made 2 pieces of damascus with a core, one was a carbon damascus with a carbon core that I made years ago, and the other was stainless I made for David broadwell just a few weeks ago.
I did a billet of crazy quilt damascus that started with a O-1/L-6 damascus core with some of my patterned damascus laid over that. It was a fun experiment and I have that out for grinding right now. As soon as that gets back I will be working on knives out of that.
Thanks,
Del

In another thread, I think Butch Harner mentioned something about some sexy wa-handled steak knives he was working on. That comment just got me thinking. I know steak knives are kind of like the ugly cousin to the usual prep knives here, and when the blade hits the plate it hurts inside, but a set of four steak knives with similar damascus (different handles) or vice versa (different damascus and similar handles) would be kind of neat.

Or even just have a straight damascus blade (no wood handle). Sort of like this one. I think that would be amazing looking with the right damascus pattern.

http://miaminiceknives.com/pendray-wootz-2-94.htm

k.

The all damascus knives look kind of fun, I may have to give something like that a go.
I am planning to make some smaller knives in the future, pettys and paring, maybe I'll have to do a few steak knives as well.
Lets keep this going.

The all damascus knives look kind of fun, I may have to give something like that a go.
I am planning to make some smaller knives in the future, pettys and paring, maybe I'll have to do a few steak knives as well.
Lets keep this going.

Well, when you get around to small knives. It would be kind of cool (I think) to do a set of three. Sort of like this one, but include thee parers (Japanese Petty, regular paring knife, and a sheep's foot).

http://www.lames-de-france.com/more_pictures_set-of-6-mixed-blades-of-france-genuine-olive-wood_Z46xuk.html

It's a nice way to get us to mentally justify buying more knives (they are all so different -- right?) ;)

k.

The crazy quilt Damascus sounds like it could be very cool :)

Do you think it would be possible to forge together multiple layers of damascus (similar to cladding a core) so that the grind exposes different layers of Damascus as through the height of the blade. Might be interesting?

I know the Kunz style saucing spoons have been suggested and done before, but I would be more interested in a tasting spoon. Long handle, with a regular table spoon sized business end. A clip part way up the neck so it stays in coat pockets, and a hole in the end if you want to put it on a lanyard.

I'd love to see the steak knives as well, but they'd be rather pricey for a set. Of course, I'd have to by wooden plates then too to protect the edges :) DAVID ????? LOL

Well, when you get around to small knives. It would be kind of cool (I think) to do a set of three. Sort of like this one, but include thee parers (Japanese Petty, regular paring knife, and a sheep's foot).

http://www.lames-de-france.com/more_pictures_set-of-6-mixed-blades-of-france-genuine-olive-wood_Z46xuk.html

It's a nice way to get us to mentally justify buying more knives (they are all so different -- right?) ;)

k.

Nice knives with a good clean look to them, I like. The thing that I find funny is that I just got in some olive wood I plan to use for knives in the future

The crazy quilt Damascus sounds like it could be very cool :)

Do you think it would be possible to forge together multiple layers of damascus (similar to cladding a core) so that the grind exposes different layers of Damascus as through the height of the blade. Might be interesting?

Yes it would, and that was part of my inspiration for the crazy quilt damascus, an I do think it would be interesting.

I know the Kunz style saucing spoons have been suggested and done before, but I would be more interested in a tasting spoon. Long handle, with a regular table spoon sized business end. A clip part way up the neck so it stays in coat pockets, and a hole in the end if you want to put it on a lanyard.

I could do this as well I have a gray kunz style spoon in the works, if I wind up with enouh material for one of these I might give it a try.

dammy butter knife to spark some non-weather conversations during stuffy, formal dinner parties :)

OK what do you guys think of the wider style, like the sandwich spreader style. I have always wanted one of those. Maybe even with a WA-style handle.

This is great lets keep it going.

I was thinking about a cake server thingie in damascus for my Mom who is an avid baker. But when I dropped hints, she was not interested or did not see what that might be good for... Oh well, but I still like the idea.

I still think a measuring spoon for espresso would be nice as would be a tamper but that might be using up too much material to be affordable. A long, slim bar spoon for mixing drinks could be nice.

Something that may be totally old fashioned in the times of the kindle: could the damascus be rolled/hammered out ultra-thin and be cut into book marks? I am using a nice and very thin sanded piece of 1x6" piece of koa as a book mark, I think damascus would be cool also. Maybe a use for leftover pieces?

Stefan

I was thinking about a cake server thingie in damascus for my Mom who is an avid baker. But when I dropped hints, she was not interested or did not see what that might be good for... Oh well, but I still like the idea.

I still think a measuring spoon for espresso would be nice as would be a tamper but that might be using up too much material to be affordable. A long, slim bar spoon for mixing drinks could be nice.

Something that may be totally old fashioned in the times of the kindle: could the damascus be rolled/hammered out ultra-thin and be cut into book marks? I am using a nice and very thin sanded piece of 1x6" piece of koa as a book mark, I think damascus would be cool also. Maybe a use for leftover pieces?

Stefan

Andrew Takach (http://takachforge.com) turns his leftover pieces into keyfobs:

keych.variety-9.JPG

Butter knife is a great idea.

I was thinking of a a couple of butterknives for my creamy cheese partys :)

Back