Quantcast
The next sweetheart?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The next sweetheart?

The next sweetheart?

Anyone know anything about this Yoshihiro gyuto? 27cm, Blue Steel, mono, HRC 63. Looks KS-esque but the photos don't show the profile very well - it may be flatter than it looks. Doesn't look like a laser. The heel looks to be a bit tight to the handle.

I've been wondering for some time why we haven't seen a mono-steel knife made w/ Blue Steel. This has potential to be a rockstar...

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

I assume it's because blue steel is expensive. Is it just me or does it not seem to taper very well in this picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	HAWG27BL-4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	2795

It does look to be a bit of a fatty, but I have never used/handled a Yoshihiro in person before, so I'm just a looker.

I would also imagine the reason you don't see more Blue steel monosteel knives is because it's expensive.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    It does look to be a bit of a fatty, but I have never used/handled a Yoshihiro in person before, so I'm just a looker.

I would also imagine the reason you don't see more Blue steel monosteel knives is because it's expensive.
    I haven't used one either, but it looks really fat near the tip.

The stainless yoshihiro gyuto is slightly thicker than a laser according to the measurements on JKI, and the "Hagane" (white steel?) virgin carbon gyuto a little thinner iirc.

Here is a blue (mono)steel knife that has been available for some time. Considerably cheaper than the yoshihiro, and if the weight (190g) and spine measurement are accurate (which i am sure they are), then this knife is thin.

http://*******.com/cq3mt5f

I'm not getting a good sense of anything just looking at those pics. At that price, it'd better be a damn good knife.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I'm not getting a good sense of anything just looking at those pics. At that price, it'd better be a damn good knife.
    Yeah, I agree - the pics don't show the knife very well. After I first posted the link I noticed that it does look kinda tubby...

I had also seen that blue steel Takayuki w/ BWJ on ebay too. It's a differnet maker than the Yusuke's I have (obviously), and I wonder what this one is like. I find BWJ's pics and descriptions to be accurate.

I inquired about the thickness of that knife recently. What she said was, "the root is about 3mm and 2mm in the middle and goes close to 0mm tip." If it's the same as their 'hagane' gyutos, it's a bit thicker than a laser type behind the edge, as well as a bit flatter, and narrower at the tip.

That seller has always had a good rep from my reading...

Can't speak to this knife's geometry specifically, but damn if it doesn't look well done overall.

I like Yoshihiro a lot... but part of why i like them is their value, particularly for the single bevel knives. At that price, you are right in the ball park for a lot of really good knives, including the KS and the Mizuno, as well as a ton of other great knives. Heck, you aren't really that far off from a Shig kasumi. I think I'd pass on this knife at that price and go with a KS instead, or a Konosuke if thin floats your boat... I'd bet Konosuke would make you a Blue #2 monosteel knife at near that price.

+ Reply to Thread