The next sweetheart?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpukas

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this Yoshihiro gyuto? 27cm, Blue Steel, mono, HRC 63. Looks KS-esque but the photos don't show the profile very well - it may be flatter than it looks. Doesn't look like a laser. The heel looks to be a bit tight to the handle.

I've been wondering for some time why we haven't seen a mono-steel knife made w/ Blue Steel. This has potential to be a rockstar... :eyebrow:

I assume it's because blue steel is expensive. Is it just me or does it not seem to taper very well in this picture. HAWG27BL-4.jpg

It does look to be a bit of a fatty, but I have never used/handled a Yoshihiro in person before, so I'm just a looker.

I would also imagine the reason you don't see more Blue steel monosteel knives is because it's expensive.

It does look to be a bit of a fatty, but I have never used/handled a Yoshihiro in person before, so I'm just a looker.

I would also imagine the reason you don't see more Blue steel monosteel knives is because it's expensive.

I haven't used one either, but it looks really fat near the tip.

The stainless yoshihiro gyuto is slightly thicker than a laser according to the measurements on JKI, and the "Hagane" (white steel?) virgin carbon gyuto a little thinner iirc.

Here is a blue (mono)steel knife that has been available for some time. Considerably cheaper than the yoshihiro, and if the weight (190g) and spine measurement are accurate (which i am sure they are), then this knife is thin.

http://tinyurl.com/cq3mt5f

I'm not getting a good sense of anything just looking at those pics. At that price, it'd better be a damn good knife.

I'm not getting a good sense of anything just looking at those pics. At that price, it'd better be a damn good knife.

Yeah, I agree - the pics don't show the knife very well. After I first posted the link I noticed that it does look kinda tubby...

I had also seen that blue steel Takayuki w/ BWJ on ebay too. It's a differnet maker than the Yusuke's I have (obviously), and I wonder what this one is like. I find BWJ's pics and descriptions to be accurate.

I inquired about the thickness of that knife recently. What she said was, "the root is about 3mm and 2mm in the middle and goes close to 0mm tip." If it's the same as their 'hagane' gyutos, it's a bit thicker than a laser type behind the edge, as well as a bit flatter, and narrower at the tip.

That seller has always had a good rep from my reading...

Can't speak to this knife's geometry specifically, but damn if it doesn't look well done overall.

I like Yoshihiro a lot... but part of why i like them is their value, particularly for the single bevel knives. At that price, you are right in the ball park for a lot of really good knives, including the KS and the Mizuno, as well as a ton of other great knives. Heck, you aren't really that far off from a Shig kasumi. I think I'd pass on this knife at that price and go with a KS instead, or a Konosuke if thin floats your boat... I'd bet Konosuke would make you a Blue #2 monosteel knife at near that price.

The stainless yoshihiro gyuto is slightly thicker than a laser according to the measurements on JKI, and the "Hagane" (white steel?) virgin carbon gyuto a little thinner iirc.

Here is a blue (mono)steel knife that has been available for some time. Considerably cheaper than the yoshihiro, and if the weight (190g) and spine measurement are accurate (which i am sure they are), then this knife is thin.

http://tinyurl.com/cq3mt5f

Am I the only one who finds this one drop dead gorgeous?

I think the issue is that these are ebay knives, it so hard to know from pictures what is a great knife and what superficially looks good but is actually rubbish.

This knife, looks fantastic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sa...534?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58907d3446

It might be fantastic or might be rubbish, the thing about buying from JKI or JCK is that it might cost a little more but you have someone to communicate with and trust.

Alan

I think the issue is that these are ebay knives, it so hard to know from pictures what is a great knife and what superficially looks good but is actually rubbish.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sa...534?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58907d3446

It might be fantastic or might be rubbish, the thing about buying from JKI or JCK is that it might cost a little more but you have someone to communicate with and trust.

Alan

BluewayJapan is run by Keiichi Omae and he is incredibly good to deal with and reliable. I've bought a few knives and stones from him and I can't say enough good things about him. He isn't super well-known but I've bought a few knives and been sorta awkward sometimes and he's always got me what I wanted very quickly and cheaply. Most of the knives he sells are very good value

Alan

Apologies if this sounds rude, but that is way off the mark. Keiichi at Bluewayjapan (that ebay store) is beyond reproach as a vendor.

The Yusuke knives (like the one you have linked) are considered (by just about everyone who I have seen write a review on one) to be some of the best "lasers" around btw. I have one, top-drawer fit and finish, an exceptional convex grind (I bought mine way before convex grinds became the next big thing). Less important, but nice for beginners, it also has the best ootb edge I have ever seen.

Hi

Apologies, I was not implying specifically that Blueway was in any way bad.

What i was saying was that its very hard from ebay to know that unless you have prior expert knowledge.

Didnt mean to insult anyone, just worded poorly.

To balance my point, take a look at this site. This indicates hand made Damascus made in the UK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Petters-CUS...800?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item3a6c694e38

I tried contacting them because the knife in the picture does not even have an edge at all, well it turns out these are Pakistani rip offs being sold through A UK sounding ebay name that does not exist anywhere outside of India or Pakistan. You are basically buying junk.

Alan

Hi

What i was saying was that its very hard from ebay to know that unless you have prior expert knowledge.

Alan

I didn't take it as you criticising Blueway, just thought I'd point out that that is a great knife from a great vendor!

Can't disagree with that. A quick e-mail is the best way to sort the trash from the treasure.

I like it! A double bevel kiri with a blood groove! How traditional!

Hi

Didnt mean to insult anyone, just worded poorly.

To balance my point, take a look at this site. This indicates hand made Damascus made in the UK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Petters-CUS...800?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item3a6c694e38

I tried contacting them because the knife in the picture does not even have an edge at all, well it turns out these are Pakistani rip offs being sold through A UK sounding ebay name that does not exist anywhere outside of India or Pakistan. You are basically buying junk.

Alan

I like it! A double bevel kiri with a blood groove! How traditional!

I detect sarcasm!
:disdain:

If you don't have the fuller, how will you ever get your Chiburi to look like Ninja Scroll? Do you want to be a real Japanese Chef or not?!

FYI, there are no links to live auctions allowed on the forum. This is to prevent people from promoting their own ebay auctions (either by being up front or sneaky). I know none of these are your own auctions, so I am going to leave the links, but please don't post anymore live auction links in the future. Thanks fellas.

...an exceptional convex grind (I bought mine way before convex grinds became the next big thing)...
Convex grinds were the next big thing hundreds of years ago. The recent fad has been flat grinds which seem to be going out of style in the kitchen. :)

FYI, there are no links to live auctions allowed on the forum. This is to prevent people from promoting their own ebay auctions (either by being up front or sneaky). I know none of these are your own auctions, so I am going to leave the links, but please don't post anymore live auction links in the future. Thanks fellas.
Fair enough. So how are we supposed to show pics/info of knives that are ONLY sold through ebay auctions?

You can mention the name of the item/seller, and everyone can find it on ebay themselves. IIRC, it's not the mentioning/sharing/looking, it's the links that are the problem.

Fair enough. So how are we supposed to show pics/info of knives that are ONLY sold through ebay auctions?

If you give the name of any of the blueway or 330mate knives, they are pretty easy to find.

You can also select an image URL on ebay, then add it to your post, and select "upload to server" so that the image is hosted here and the original host won't shut the link down.

JC, I think you've handled this nicely. Now we all know, so no harm done :)

I think most of the knives we covet were only discovered because some brave soul took the plunge first. Who bought the first Watanabe, Takeda or Shig?

I just got a Yuke 240 White Gyuto from Bluway. Fit and finish is equivalent to Konosuke. One qualm is the lack of etched kanji. It's my second Yuke to date. The convex grind is superior to my Kono HD's...

I also own two Yoshihiro's. They are thicker than a typical laser, and the convexity of the grind is so-so, at best. Needs a bit of thinning behind the edge. F&F is decent. EBay seller used to go by myjapaneeds, but ran into some trouble from what I heard? Jon has told me, he can special order just about anything from Yoshihiro....

On the "old tools" list active ebay auctions are banned to keep members from having to bid against each other. If you want to post a pic of a knife that a seller markets you can find a completed auction and get the image from that.

Latest posts

Back