Quantcast
Chicken killer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken killer

Chicken killer

What knife and which steel would you recommend for chopping thru bones and cartilage on a chicken? I need a real beater that won't chip etc.

Don't tell the knife police, but I've been using a really thick Misuno deba in blue #2 for destroying birds without any sign of problem at all...no chips or damage and its still 95% sharp.

I also have a ken onion shun cleaver in solid vg10 with a really heavy convex bade. People will point and laugh, but it's a hellofa weapon. Its as indestructible as Ive seen and IMO the only onion shun design that really worked.
    They've been discontinued for awhile and you can find em kicking around for pretty cheap.

Honesuki! They are thick and tough, because they are designed for exactly this. Unless you are really chopping and beating through bones(though why would you?), then you might want to get a meat cleaver.

I have a Henckles pro S that's my beater for things like this, or i crack out the vintage cleaver. Or a yo deba:

In work we have some sort of ancient English carbon cleaver, Gregory Fenton Sheffield make I think it says on it. Saying that I've also been looking for something for chopping bones. I'd rather not just go out and spend a tenner in a cookware shop, I'd rather get something more pro and suited to the job. I think a yo deba would definitely work

Looks that way

honesuki for portioning chicken (ie, through cartilege, but between bones), or a cheap yo-deba for going through bones for me.

For these tasks I would use my very soft stainless Sabatier. In most cases there won't be real damage, just some dulling, which is so easily repaired. I really don't understand the idea of having a thick knife made of hard steel.

Quote Originally Posted by half_hack View Post
    honesuki for portioning chicken (ie, through cartilege, but between bones), or a cheap yo-deba for going through bones for me.
    with good technique, you can cut through chicken bones with a honesuki with very little damage to the edge. Heck... i even did this with a turkey this year. If you look close, you will see some damage, but i literally cut the carcass into pieces (after taking the meat off), and it was a large bird.

i use a konosuke 210mm blue 2 mioroshi

i would use my suisin 210mm petty if the konosuke was not available. going through the bones is not desirable with this though it can go through joints, no problem.
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"