Quantcast
Got Sharpening Questions? - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Got Sharpening Questions?

Could this phenomena where a gross amount steel has to be removed from an edge before it can be easily sharpened be related to work hardening of steel?

Sufficient steel has to be removed to make the a) 2 planes meet ( inclusive of burr removals) and then how sharp it is depends on b)how thin and further refined it is.

This I believe is the primary objective of sharpening and any problems that i encounter... I always come back to this 2 points.

Rgds

tripleg good point to mention diamond sprays. perhaps the most importance with diamond sprays is the mechanics involved with carbides in a ferrous matrix. lots of the super new alloys have very hard carbides embedded in much softer foundation matrix. using compounds on your strop that do'nt evenly abrade the total alloy create a weaker edge. very hard carbides that resist stropping compounds allow the matrix to be more abraded than the super hard carbides which weakens the support at the edge of carbides which are much harder than the ferrous base. diamond sprays insure an even abraded edge which is stronger.vanadium carbides can measure in the rockwell high 70s.in my usage i found that not much advantage is gained by diamonds of less than 2 microns. cranky72

I have pretty much nonexistent sharpening skills. But I need to open a new Carbonext and the only stone I have is the select II 1200. Will it be sufficient or should I buy some lower grit one?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzardborn View Post
    I have pretty much nonexistent sharpening skills. But I need to open a new Carbonext and the only stone I have is the select II 1200. Will it be sufficient or should I buy some lower grit one?

Give it a try, you might get lucky.

when pushing the knife away on the stone, do you use the same pressure and same angle as on the pull stroke? i hear from some sources that they use less pressure on this stroke? Does anything change on this stroke?
    thanks

A very recent discussion on this matter:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-on-Sharpening

I'm new at sharpening and having some trouble with getting used to the angle. Is it normal for me to cause scratches on the side of my knife during this learning process?

Quote Originally Posted by Draw View Post
    I'm new at sharpening and having some trouble with getting used to the angle. Is it normal for me to cause scratches on the side of my knife during this learning process?
    In a word... yes. IMHO, it's definitely not uncommon in the very early stages of learning.
    Fudoushin Bujinkan Dojo: http://fudoushin.com/

As Yamabushi told. Make sure though that your stone is flat. A protruding edge may be the cause as well.