Quantcast
Got Sharpening Questions? - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Got Sharpening Questions?

Lot of info around here for searching and reading. I'm still new to sharpening and stropping but really liked felt loaded with diamond spray I used at Dave's. I use 1 micron spray based on what I've read here. hard to get high quality felt, though. I'm waiting on some from Marko which I'm sure will be great. I've tried leather and balsa, too... what the felt does well is pull off that last wire edge. A hard felt block to slice through in between grits, too.

Thought I'd ask this here: How do you sharpen bird's beak knives?

Quote Originally Posted by apathetic View Post
    Thought I'd ask this here: How do you sharpen bird's beak knives?

The corner edge of the stone or a round rod is what most people use.

Thanks will try this on the edge of my stones!
    If not normal stones, what kind of rod would you use?

I have a question:

I am not a seasoned sharpener by any means, but I've certainly improved over the six or so months that I've become much more serious about it. The problem is, when I was starting out I made quite a few mistakes being a bit overzealous. One of which was widening the bevel dramatically on a Konosuke Fujiyama gyuto. How does one take it back down? Do I just need a low-grit stone to just grind it down and make the profile of the knife way shorter and start over? I've kept the wide bevel mostly because I simply didn't know how else to deal with it, and I sharpen it at that angle now, though it doesn't seem to take a particularly keen edge anymore. Help with the fix would be greatly appreciated (it would honestly probably be best to post a picture of how bad it is but frankly I'm embarrassed!)

T

Hi T,
    Do you mean that you laid the knife down pretty low and cut a wide (or tall) bevel at a shallow angle?

What's your normal progression?

Dave

Been searching on youtube without much luck for edge trailing sharpening or honing. Anyone have a good video on hand?

eighteesix:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozZF2EgnYm0 starts around 6:30 mark.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Quote Originally Posted by greasedbullet View Post
    eighteesix:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozZF2EgnYm0 starts around 6:30 mark.
    anything else? harder than youd think to apply edge trailing strokes of a flip knife to a 240mm gyuto.

eighteesix

That is a fixed blade. This is the video that taught me. I'll look for another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5stV_1kID-U Here is another angle, still with Carter, but still a small knife. at 2:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFhMGJYhYpU here is one from Kramer at the 9:50 mark. It is on a strop but it is pretty much the same thing. Also on a chef knife.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

+ Reply to Thread