Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Got Sharpening Questions?

So I have a 400 and 1000 chosera stones, but I find that I want to get a finer edge, what stone should I get next? I was looking at the suehiro rika 5k, but is there anything better/do I need a stone in between the chosera 1k and the suehiro 5k?

I go 1k shapton gs to 5k rika no problem

I go from 1 k to a rika too. It has been working like a charm for me
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Ok cool, sounds like I'll be getting the rika next then. Thanks guys.

One thing I have noticed with the rika is that it will never ever dry completely for some reason. Which is not a big deal for me because I keep my stones out on a desk,but if you put it back in th box or try to travel with it be careful it doesn't grow mold (mostly the box in my experience)
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Should be ok, I probably won't move it often. Thanks for the heads up, I'm assuming the rika isn't a stone you can permasoak?

You can as far as I know, and I have heard it makes it even better

I have my rika permasoaking, and yeah it seems to like it that way.

I keep all the boxes,but the stones that I use dont go back in them.If I have a stone not using completely dry might put it in the box.I have gone thru 2 rika's over the years,for the price it is a great polishing stone.Also fan of the Gesshin 4K.

Quote Originally Posted by JDA_NC View Post
    I think this is an awesome question! I'd love to hear more responses

We're talking about opening up the primary bevel/cutting edge, right?

This is a problem I had for awhile and didn't really realize. I thought that doing so was a sign of me going at a proper, acute angle. What I realized is that it was really a sign of improper pressure - too much (for me), and too far behind the edge. I started seeing that most of the 'high end' knives shown here had very little visible bevel, and got a few knives that had killer OOTB edges that put mine just to shame - again with almost no visible bevel. I could be wrong, but I think opening up the bevel so much weakens the edge and can cause easier rounded edges.

What I've found to help fix previous mistakes is to thin the edges (and right behind it) on a coarse stone, which makes the previous bevel less pronounced, and then set a new one, focusing on not being too heavy handed and putting pressure right on the edge. I've been happier with my edges (and how long they last) since doing this.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! It was that comparison with newer knives that have very small bevels that made me realize how off I was. I do think you're right, too, about edge durability. With the wider bevel it will cut well for my first shift, but later on in the week it's toast. My mission this weekend will be to take it down with a 400 grit and see if we can't get it worked out. What kind of angle do you work at to thin? Thanks a lot of the help, I'm excited to try to fix it.

T
    "Suck less every day."