Quantcast
Bent the Tip, How to fix?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bent the Tip, How to fix?

Bent the Tip, How to fix?

So I've got a nearly brand new carbon gyuoto, and of course I drop it (at home none the less) and the tip bent slightly. It's not huge but now I can't really use this knife at work because of it.

How can I fix this? I have a 140 lapping stone to level out my waterstones, will this work? I'm a newbie to sharpening so should I send this to a professional or can this small bent tip be fixed by myself? It's just the very tip of the knife maybe 2 mm or so.

If your new to sharpening and you need it done right, I suggest you send it off to be done. 3 vendors (at least) on this board provide these services and are in the US. Jon at JKI, Dave M at Japanese Knife Sharpening and Korin. I've utilized each of them on different occasions and have had excellent service each time.

If you want to do it yourself it's not a daunting task, some pictures and a list of stones available would help you to get specific advice.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Two millimeter of carbon steel? Carbon steel has a low abrasion resistance. The fix will take a few minutes. Get a sheet of automotive sandpaper, grit P120 or higher. Work from the spine and lower it until the edge is reached. With this very small repair you won't have to bother about profile, distal taper and other factors who may complicate larger ones.

See especially post nr 13

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...roke-tip/page2

You have to remove the metal from the spine down to the edge, something like this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fix tip 2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	23007
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Em… if the tip is just bent (not broken or chipped) then just try bending it back. If that doesn't help, then use hammer to bring it back where it should be. But I believe you won't need hammer.

That almost never works. Bending it back always seems to weaken the steel. With harder steels it will usually just snap off.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    You have to remove the metal from the spine down to the edge, something like this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fix tip 2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	23007
    Hmmmmm....that looks familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    That almost never works. Bending it back always seems to weaken the steel. With harder steels it will usually just snap off.
    This.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Thanks for the input guys.

The tip bend is literally so small you wouldn't notice it unless you were specifically looking for it. It does not require shaving off metal to form a new tip like the picture Theory posted. It still isn't good for work though so it needs to be fixed.

I'll try gently bending it back somehow and if that doesn't work I'll send it to Korin.

While it may not be as dramatic as the picture I posted it may in fact still need to be ground off from the spine down. Can you post a few pictures for us?

Theory,

I will try to post a picture tomorrow, I am not too computer savvy unfortunately! Just curious if anyone has a ballpark figure on what something like this based on the description would cost to fix professionally? It's a $120 misono brand new so if repairs add up I might just replace it.