Quantcast
Got Sharpening Questions?
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Got Sharpening Questions?

Got Sharpening Questions?

One of the things I hope to be able to do more of with this new forum is to answer sharpening questions that you may have. Please feel free to ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

I also would like to encourage seasoned sharpeners to help answer these questions too, it's great to have different views on things.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    One of the things I hope to be able to do more of with this new forum is to answer sharpening questions that you may have. Please feel free to ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

I also would like to encourage seasoned sharpeners to help answer these questions too, it's great to have different views on things.

Dave
    Well, I wouldn't describe myself as a seasoned sharpener, but I have done a lot of trial and error with JNATs and different steels and might be able to pass on some good advise for the newbies. For the more experienced, Dave and Maxim will be a far better source.

Hoek

Here's one for you Dave, what's the skinny on stropping single bevel knives? any order to the proccess?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    Well, I wouldn't describe myself as a seasoned sharpener, but I have done a lot of trial and error with JNATs and different steels and might be able to pass on some good advise for the newbies. For the more experienced, Dave and Maxim will be a far better source.

Hoek
    I am seasoned sharpener too, i do not do it professional like Dave

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post

Dave
    Dave,

Why am I still a terrible sharpener after 6 months of practice?

Thanks,

Jack

Dave and experts,

When I wash my knife after use I use a scotch-brite dish sponge and I use the dark green coarse side. Could the extra coarse dark green side be causing my edges to go dull so quickly from very little use (home cooking)?

The sponges I use look like this... http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/pages/item-mmm74cc.html

Dave awhile ago you were talking about sharpening the tip of a knife
    that you taught in your classes .
    Ive seen Jon vid I just wanted your take on it .
    your method that is.

Pete - Yeah, that green scrubber will dull your edge. Just use the sponge.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I went to a less abrasive scrubber when I saw what those were doing to some of my cookware!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    Pete - Yeah, that green scrubber will dull your edge. Just use the sponge.
    I honestly just use my hands and water, but a soft sponge is a better idea for sure