210 yanagi?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenStefano

Reaction score
I have a 210 petty and I like it a lot and I find such a knife incredibly useful, despite there being a limited selection and that they seem to be fairly new to the knife world. So this got me thinking, if a 210 petty/suji is great, what about a 210 yanagi? Does anyone have one, and if so what do they think? I am thinking that perhaps they would be a more precise but fragile version of a 210 petty. If a 210 petty is sorta a smaller suji, wouldn't a 210 yanagi work similarly? They don't seem super popular but then again surely there was a time when the same could be said for 210 pettys. I know a yanagi is usually used with one long cut, but I am thinking a 210 yanagi could sort of be a hybrid of a yanagi and an usuba

I know a yanagi is usually used with one long cut, but I am thinking a 210 yanagi could sort of be a hybrid of a yanagi and an usuba
If you want a hybrid, why don't you get a 210 mukimono? I got a nice one from Watanabe.

I think a 210 yanagi as a petty makes plenty of sense if you're not someone who puts petties to abusive tasks. I've lusted after (particularly) the 210mm Jin at JKI, which I've seen in person and is a ridiculously beautiful knife, well out of my price range. You're going to get a super sharp petty that makes super clean draw cuts. And of course yes, with a more fragile edge. (Here I'm NOT talking specifially about the Jin, which for all I know has a magically robust edge; I just mean to say all the obvious things about single vs double bevels).

The standard wisdom on "hybrid between yanagiba and usuba" is that's a kiritsuke. I don't see how either a short yanagi is that, nor a mukimono. (?)

i have a 210mm yanagiba i used like a petty... i had to adjust the sharpening on it to help it hold up, but its served me well over the years. Would i recommend it to everyone? No. The petty is still the better choice for most. But if you want to spend the time to learn how to use a yanagiba well, you might end up with a shorter one down the road (start with a 270mm or 300mm).

Petty: I love the 180mm not many makers make that size. Tojiro does. Excellent for cutting large mangoes. This travel with me when I go overseas as I tend to buy fresh local fruits.

Yanigiba 210: rarely cook these days. Relegated to my sandwich knife ( ham,salad and tomatoes) ; very clean cut.. basically a slicer. A Nakiri is great for that also as the rectangular shape allows me to scoop up the sandwiches. But the sharp feel makes me reach for the Yanigiba..

d

I have a mini-yanagi from Jon. I think its 180 - I use it as an all-rounder, still getting used to it and its got to be about 5 months now, but I love the knife. Taking apart chicken breasts is fun and its probably my number one used "quick" knife. (a knife that I use to make a small quick meal with).

That being said I also have a 270 yanagi that I like to use! Only used as a slicer however!

Rottman made a 210 suji/petty for me that is highly asymmetric but still thin. It's a great knife for a lot of things. I'm sure a yanagi would also be even nicer for proteins but maybe not so much for fruits, etc. unless it was stainless, maybe.

Back