Perfect custom cheese knife - Challange to knife makers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
One of the most common tasks for me is cheese slicing.

I have tried all manner of super sharp knives and none of them seem much good at cheese slicing because the cheese just sticks to the blade. The normal cheese knife you see has some weird set of holes etc to stop cheese sticking, the other alternative is a cheese wire, thats not a good option because it takes up to much space.

So I want to reinvent the cheese knife, what concepts can we come up with ?

My initial thought's are a very rigid but sharp very shallow blade, almost like a rigid boning/filliet knife, another idea would be dest described as a cheese junior hacksaw to give a very thin shallow blade ridigity.

Thoughts or ideas for discussion ?

At the end of the day if we can come up with something uinique and effective I would like to commission the knife and try it for real.

Alan

Are we talking commercial blocks or residential? For commercial I use a wire.

If its residential I like the one I use, great for soft cheese: The holes reduce the drag:

IMG_0721.jpg

Home use only

Thats a pretty knife, is that a factory blade with custom handle ?

Yes, factory blade with custom handle. I think the blade is only 150 mm.

Yup, heavy weight fishing wire tied around a slingshot shape works amazingly well.

Guitar string.

The best hard cheese cutting knife I have ever used is my Henckels 5.5" Twin Cuisine santoku with the grantons. For such a small knife it's pretty heavy and it's the only time that it seems that the grantons actually help with the cutting.

+1 on the cheese wire, best cheese cutter ever.

I understand there are various wires etc out there now that work reasonably well

Im looking for something new and different

Really, all you guys use wires at your home? For multiple slices from a 1/2# brick? Guess I am the odd one out.

I tend to use my Fujiwara petty, but a wire does work a lot nicer.

Less drag is better for sure. I use pretty much any knife for most cheeses. When it gets to softer cheese, nothing comes remotely close to using a wire.

Well, I've never needed a square pad of brie, so I don't worry about soft cheese. But then again, I doubt that $7 cheese knife needs 5 mosaic pins, so it's probably not about need, is it?

Yup, heavy weight fishing wire tied around a slingshot shape works amazingly well.
I think we're on to something now. A feather damascus arch with a nice burled wood handle, and the ends of the arch receive easily-replaceable fishing line or wire :cool2: Sounds like a good project for Del or Randy!

I would be happy to assist and try that at home !!!

When I was a wee lad back in Kentucky, my grandfather had a pretty cool cheese slicing setup. It was a narrow wood cutting board with a pivoting wire cutter setup like a guillotine paper shear. It worked on the big blocks of bulk American cheese like the government now gives away. Think a standard slice of American being the "short dimensions" something like that would handle almost anything you could throw at it. Not sure if he boughtit or made it. He was a tinkerer, so he may have assembled it from parts.

Could you grind a regular chef's knife like that to prevent sticking?

Just curious...........

You can also click on the post number and then copy the url in your browser. It will then point right to the post you want to talk about.

Like so.
So THAT's how ya do it! Thanks.
Glestain: I only have a gyuto and it's okay for softer cheese but still not great.

In my experiance nearly any knife will cut cheese very well "IF IS VERY DULL" I keep a chicago cutlery petite santoku aroung that you could ride across country and not get hurt. try it before you guys make fun of me.

Back