Quantcast
I Don't Understand this Knife
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: I Don't Understand this Knife

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    mr drinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,090

    I Don't Understand this Knife

    I was browsing a Williams-Sonoma catalog that came to my house and I saw this Shun knife. It has a wavy blade that is also serrated. Of course I can read the description that WS gives about high and low frequency yadda yadda yadda...

    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...oMerchRules-_-

    But on top of being a sharpening nightmare, I just find myself confused and asking "Why?"

    Is there some solid reason to produce a knife like this other than just selling it to gadget-addicted home cooks?

    With that said, the description did make me laugh when it said: "This versatile blade excels at a wide variety of tasks, from slicing delicate mushrooms to chunking pineapple."

    Ooooooooh, this knife is very versatile. None of my knives can handle both of those difficult cutting chores.

    k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

  2. #2
    The high and low frequency yaddas are designed to lull and confuse you, so that when you ask the salesperson, "Why", they'll answer, "Why not?" And you say, "Yeah, why not?"

    Next thing you know, you're putting your credit card back in your wallet, and you now own something that you'll probably never understand.

    I think the proper term is "Vegas Wedding"

  3. #3
    What's confusing me is how tiny serrations are going to reduce tearing. A plain edge that is wavy will not tear food. The serrations are there expressly to tear the food.

    I wonder who thought this was good enough to sell. People will pretty much buy anything, but if there was a focus group that got in on this, I am disappointed.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    I think the proper term is "Vegas Wedding"
    Not true. Because at least when drunk, getting hitched to a stripper seems like a great idea. This knife never does.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Not true. Because at least when drunk, getting hitched to a stripper seems like a great idea. This knife never does.
    That's only because we won't buy a knife while drunk and at Williams-Sonoma.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,894
    Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    That's only because we won't buy a knife while drunk and at Williams-Sonoma.
    How about stoned and at Sur la Table?

  7. #7
    Senior Member FryBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, California
    Posts
    235
    Shun makes a lot of weird knives that sell on looks, not utility or performance.

    For a very short while I had a Shun Ken Onion 8-Inch Carving/Slicing knife ($238 list, $190 at Amazon) that I bought off a guy new for $100 including shipping -- he had received it as a gift but already had one and thought it was just wonderful. I used it once but couldn't figure out how to make it work right due to the scimitar-like curve, sold it on Ebay for $100 plus shipping.

    Pretty, but just too weird to keep around -- the Lindsay Lohan of knives!


    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    How about stoned and at Sur la Table?
    That all depends. Did you buy the knife?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by FryBoy View Post
    Shun makes a lot of weird knives that sell on looks, not utility or performance.

    For a very short while I had a Shun Ken Onion 8-Inch Carving/Slicing knife ($238 list, $190 at Amazon) that I bought off a guy new for $100 including shipping -- he had received it as a gift but already had one and thought it was just wonderful. I used it once but couldn't figure out how to make it work right due to the scimitar-like curve, sold it on Ebay for $100 plus shipping.

    Pretty, but just too weird to keep around -- the Lindsay Lohan of knives!


    I had the chance to hold this knife in a store recently, and it just feels... well... odd!

    Hoek.

  10. #10
    That is a really, really odd knife.
    Not to mention ugly (the one in the OP).

    Jon Savage
    Long Beach, CA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •