I Don't Understand this Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was browsing a Williams-Sonoma catalog that came to my house and I saw this Shun knife. It has a wavy blade that is also serrated. Of course I can read the description that WS gives about high and low frequency yadda yadda yadda...

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-edo-dual-density-8-inch-utility-knife-stand/?pkey=e%7Cshun%7C69%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C5&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

But on top of being a sharpening nightmare, I just find myself confused and asking "Why?"

Is there some solid reason to produce a knife like this other than just selling it to gadget-addicted home cooks?

With that said, the description did make me laugh when it said: "This versatile blade excels at a wide variety of tasks, from slicing delicate mushrooms to chunking pineapple."

Ooooooooh, this knife is very versatile. None of my knives can handle both of those difficult cutting chores.

k.

The high and low frequency yaddas are designed to lull and confuse you, so that when you ask the salesperson, "Why", they'll answer, "Why not?" And you say, "Yeah, why not?"

Next thing you know, you're putting your credit card back in your wallet, and you now own something that you'll probably never understand.

I think the proper term is "Vegas Wedding"

What's confusing me is how tiny serrations are going to reduce tearing. A plain edge that is wavy will not tear food. The serrations are there expressly to tear the food.

I wonder who thought this was good enough to sell. People will pretty much buy anything, but if there was a focus group that got in on this, I am disappointed.

Shun makes a lot of weird knives that sell on looks, not utility or performance.

For a very short while I had a Shun Ken Onion 8-Inch Carving/Slicing knife ($238 list, $190 at Amazon) that I bought off a guy new for $100 including shipping -- he had received it as a gift but already had one and thought it was just wonderful. I used it once but couldn't figure out how to make it work right due to the scimitar-like curve, sold it on Ebay for $100 plus shipping.

Pretty, but just too weird to keep around -- the Lindsay Lohan of knives!

1213881811_HjivE-L.jpg

Shun makes a lot of weird knives that sell on looks, not utility or performance.

For a very short while I had a Shun Ken Onion 8-Inch Carving/Slicing knife ($238 list, $190 at Amazon) that I bought off a guy new for $100 including shipping -- he had received it as a gift but already had one and thought it was just wonderful. I used it once but couldn't figure out how to make it work right due to the scimitar-like curve, sold it on Ebay for $100 plus shipping.

Pretty, but just too weird to keep around -- the Lindsay Lohan of knives!

1213881811_HjivE-L.jpg

I had the chance to hold this knife in a store recently, and it just feels... well... odd!

Hoek.

That is a really, really odd knife.
Not to mention ugly (the one in the OP).

Jon Savage
Long Beach, CA

I have a ken onion shun bread knife, bought it on ebay for less than $70 i believe. the curved handle makes for a nice offset and gives you knuckle clearance. blade chipped pretty easily though. might send it to shun for resharpening.

I would be very interested in seeing how they deal with chips in the blade. I repaired the edge on one of their paring knives for my sister but was unable to get all of the chips out.

maybe i will take some pictures before, send it in, and see how it goes. i know they have also mentioned replacing the knife if its too much work to fix it. but idk if they make ken onions anymore.

I would be very interested in seeing how they deal with chips in the blade. I repaired the edge on one of their paring knives for my sister but was unable to get all of the chips out.

I had a few of the Shun damascus knives for a while. It seemed like there were some inclusions in the core steel as small cips "fell out" during use and even during sharpening. For VG-10 this is very strange unless they have gotten a really bad batch of VG-10. I know VG-10 can be chippy if tempered wrong, but in my case small pieces of the steel like a small pinhead size just fell out.

DarkHOeK

I had a few of the Shun damascus knives for a while. It seemed like there were some inclusions in the core steel as small cips "fell out" during use and even during sharpening. For VG-10 this is very strange unless they have gotten a really bad batch of VG-10. I know VG-10 can be chippy if tempered wrong, but in my case small pieces of the steel like a small pinhead size just fell out.

DarkHOeK

weird. bad batch would be my guess, as none of my Shuns have ever done that.

And I thought that Shun couldn't possibly make a more screwed up knife than the Onion chef's knife....I was obviously wrong. :D

I think they messed up the description, it is clearly a variation of bread knife.

weird. bad batch would be my guess, as none of my Shuns have ever done that.

That is exactly what her knife did. There are pin holes in the side of the edge, plus the chips on the edge.

Back