Quantcast
Why I Travel with Knives
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I Travel with Knives

Why I Travel with Knives

So I am in the Virgin Islands and I get to the rental home and check out the knives. This is the only chef's knife in the house (though there are some other knives). Not only is the Zwilling rusted, at one point the blade edge is completely ruptured with a crack almost a centimeter long. It looks as if someone used the knife as a can opener or screwdriver.

Thank goodness for my Fowler and Rodrigue stand-ins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0923.jpg 
Views:	715 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	2811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0925.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	2812

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Can openers, screw drivers, paint can lid pryers, weed diggers etc are the ways most people use their kitchen knives. That one is certainly a classic example.

whoooooa.

That's insane! the edge is RUSTED.

I hear ya, K! My Misono Moly and Carter suji are loving life, being the only two knives I use throughout the week. I might switch it up this week and trade them in for my Swede, just to mix things up. A "serrated" Wusthof just can't hack it, even though everyone else seems to love how it feels being forced through carrots and the like.
    On a side note, I love the little Fowler gyuto you're traveling with. I think he should make some more of those.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    ...On a side note, I love the little Fowler gyuto you're traveling with. I think he should make some more of those.
    Yeah, that seems like a very convenient size. As for the "house knives," I don't know why these places even have knives around. Most of the time, they don't actually cut, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    On a side note, I love the little Fowler gyuto you're traveling with. I think he should make some more of those.
    Yeah, I am really glad that I picked up that petit gyuto of Fowler's. It was sort of an experiment for him I think, and I debated it for about a week because I had just bought a 240 Fowler, but it turned out to be a great buy. I'd love to see him make more too, but it sat on the forums for a while, so I wonder if he feels there is a market of it. Probably not. I'd love to compare it to a Carter SFGZ of the same size. I think it would compare well.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I repaired a Wustof for my neighbor that looked just like the Zwilling, butt also had mushroomed edge on the spine. He had used it to break down an elk, and tried to hammer it through the bones!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

How do you like his 240?

When I got mine it seemed so thick and clunky compared to my carter 240 or Fowler 210 petty. Had to raise the tip and the heal just to make it useable, seemed unbalanced , overall had major doubts.

After a month, my opinion has totally changed. Got the profile and bevel just where i want them. There are times I grab my thinner carter, but for daily chop chop its no fun compared to the Fowler.

Maybe I just need to learn to adjust my sharpening strategy for different grinds...?

Quote Originally Posted by eshua View Post

Maybe I just need to learn to adjust my sharpening strategy for different grinds...?

But I wish there was a "Hallelujah" icon right now!

At least you can use the house knife as a bread knife.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney