Quantcast
Feather Damascus Suji and Gyuto WIP - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Feather Damascus Suji and Gyuto WIP

Its very cool!

Great looking pattern. I like the profile and wouldnt change it much if any.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

Wow, thanks Guys, I don't think I can go renaming it, the pattern has been around much longer than me. No one knows who invented it. The method of stacking to forge the pattern out on top is known as "Turkish". So maybe it hails from there. I could name the knives "The Squirrel" Maybe I would be immortalized in Dave's silly names thread

The crushed W's make all the difference in that pattern. You get kind of a combination of the best of a feather pattern and something similar to firestorm or explosion. IMO, you can go a bit bolder and it looks great. The disadvantage that you may have with kitchen knives is that you probably don't want to etch as deeply as a presentation/collectable knife and I would think that you wouldn't want to use some of the more common methods of getting super high contrast like cold bluing or parkerizing on a knife that you plan to use on food.

I've been playing with the handle idea. The plan was for tapered octagonal wa, in damascus and stabilized wood. But thought maybe something a bit more naturalistic could go well with it?

Feedback would be very much appreciated, practical considerations of use etc.

The curve at the heel goes the wrong way IMO, if it swung down would fit the palm better. The curved handle I put on the petty I made at yours is really comfy and makes a change from my wa handles. I'd put a swell in the middle too but that may just be a personal thing of what I find comfortable

Thanks Tom, I think i'm going off the curvy handle for now, needs some work. I think I'll do a nice octagonal taper.

Will if you look in this thread I think you'll see what TB_London means. Fish was the original rehandle master and he did a lot of downward curved handles and they looked fantastic

Great work!

Very nice feather. The hard work paid off nicely there.

-M

Thank you very much, very much appreciated. I can't wait to get going on these again. Thanks for the link to the Fish thread, I'll certainly try something like that on this 240, the two others will be octagonal I think. I'll try this one first. At the moment i've got lots of different things started, so I had better get on and get something finished.

+ Reply to Thread