Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Feather Damascus Suji and Gyuto WIP

Nice looking blade, Will. I'm going to dissent and say that the upward curvature might not be terrible if there is enough room for the palm to sit comfortably in front of the upsweep. You might also consider putting a little dip right before it. It might also have balance issues and it would certainly look wierd.

I think it's cool. Got a chef nearby you can test things on?

I could do a mock up of the upturn in ply. I think I will leave it for a future experiment though. I'm sure this will evolve in the right direction, certainly wanting to try something a bit different on the 240, Many thanks Guys.

Some Grinding n polishing. Logo etched, time to etch the damascus! The "Turbulence" Petty also ready to rock.

Can't wait to see them etched!

Been busy again... waiting the see the art of damascus on the blade...

In between a bit more polishing then etching blades, I got the damascus for ferrules and endcaps done.
    Started with a W's billet cut to 4, welded restacked, forged to about 30mm square and gave it a good tight twist.

And forged it out into a square bar about 20mm

Cut to 4 and made a 2x2 stack,

welded and forged to a 30mm square bar. Cut to 4 on the diagonal and restacked. So the interior of the twisted W's is now the exterior.

Welded that down to a 25mm square bar and left it in the furnace to anneal for drilling and grinding.
    I'm looking at some lovely polished etch blades here, when there is some daylight i'll get some pics.

Ooooo looking interesting, those are going to be some cool ferrules

Hope so mate, Really wanted to have a sneaky peak, but avoided the temptation and left it to fully anneal. I can't resist using that lovely bit of Chestnut burl for the feather one. I have a plan for the handle. Its going to be wa but with a 20mm damascus cap on each end of the chestnut, no spacers hopefully nice and clean and natural to go with the pattern. I'll see what the pattern looks like tomorrow to be sure and if I've got enough width for damascus on the back after grinding it flat and true.

Nice, Will. I twisted a single W bar and Ferry flipped it and ended up with a pattern where it almost rises up from the edge like a wave or solar flair in some places. And the twisty bits did show on the spine even when tiled out.