Quantcast
Feather Damascus Suji and Gyuto WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Feather Damascus Suji and Gyuto WIP

I love this stuff, thanks for the close-up shots.

That is awesome! Thanks for another wonderful wip! I really enjoy learning all this stuff.

Thank you guys.
    Dave I use the hammer to squish the layers flat. You loose less heat in a power hammer, so it can be done in one heat. I normally have big dies in the press and use it for more controlled operations, like evening up the sides of the billet, straightening, hot cutting, etc.

Tough day today. I got the last stack of 4 done on both, then concentrated on the feather billet as it involves so much concentration constantly.
    Billet cut to 8 and stacked

Billet welded, needs a good long soak at this point to make sure the layers are consolidated enough to survive the cut. I welded a bar on at 45 degrees to allow me to work all sides.
    Ready to go back in the fire again for the split, done at welding heat also.

Well that all went to plan!

Cleaned up inside the split,

Back in the fire, refluxed, tap the two halves back together so there is contact and back up to welding heat. Welded, then back in the fire for a good long soak and weld again. Its really easy to get these last steps so the layers are not fully consolidated so a long soak and reweld is important. Basically, do everything at welding heat right to the end.

I went back and did some another weld on both ends of the billet but at this point wanted to check the density of the pattern, to see weather I can forge it out as one billet or split in half, so as to avoid loosing the pattern.

Looking good, can see the w's but still quite compressed, so I decided to split the billet up the middle for the two blades.

And a little forging with the fullers to get the width in the right places before forging to shape and width

I should have stopped there! But went on to forge the Suji to shape. All was good and I was about to start grinding to shape a bit more, then thought I would correct I slight lump to the back of the spine with a red heat to save grinding.
    This resulted in a split up the middle from the back. I was nearly down to width and taper so this was pretty fatal. I managed to weld it back up but ended up chasing a floor that opened up further down, by now the whole thing was too thin. So I have lost the half.
    Gutted, but it just goes to show you can't relax until you are nearly to shape with this pattern. Then heat cycle to reduce the grain size. I will entirely forge to shape on the next one, close to welding heat, leave nicely oversize and grind more of the taper in. Normally I forge the taper and true everything at red heat, not with his pattern though! So looks like i'll be needing to do another billet, hopefully will get 3 knives out of that lot though. Shame it was going so well!!!
    I feel like having a little cry but I suppose its only a lost day or so.

Been following todays post.. trying to understand ( having a tough time) . at the end of page 2 , I felt your disappointment too. But I know you'll be hammering away again and I look to the next post..

Good luck and hv fun...

Thanks David, it takes no prisoners this pattern. But it'll be worth it in the end.

Will, That sucks, I have been there. And this Feather can be a tricky pattern. and even more so if your trying to make pieces large enough for most of the kitchen knives..

But dont be to discouraged brother. That stuff happens to everyone, its how we learn.

Thanks for showing us the process its been a great WIP!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Thanks for the encouragement Randy. Yeah, we wouldn't want to do it if it was easy

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Thanks David, it takes no prisoners this pattern. But it'll be worth it in the end.
    Then I should seriously think of owning it........ Seen a Devin adn also a Rader feather damascus ( pics only) didnt realize that this pattern is quite tricky/ difficult to make.. MY undertanding is improving bit by bit and learning to undertand via the WIPs You custom knife makers amaze me. The last time I saw a baker ( primitive bread shop 30 years ago.... making bread in a Kiln.., the heat was quite unbearable for me as a customer in the front of the shop. They are all skinny folks and I always imagine till today that their lungs would be dry... But looking at US custom knife makers( PIctures only)..Very healthy looking specimen! . Your workshop air-conditioned??.. just kidding..

tks for posting , its most educational and informative ;

rgds
    D

Wow! That is incredible. Art through adversity.