My First Quality Kitchen Knife Purchase, Thanks!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldglory

Reaction score
Thanks to recommendations from this forum I ordered a Konosuke White #2 Wa-Gyuto 240. This was ordered after finding that the Hiromoto AS gyuto and Carbonext were out of stock. Any comments would be appreciated. I am still learning. Thanks Again!

You could have done a lot worse, lol. Be sure to let us know how you like it. :)

You could have done a lot worse, lol. Be sure to let us know how you like it. :)

Ouch!! That hurt!!! lol. I believe in buying quality tools but on a teachers salary and kids in college this was it. Its not the tool of my trade just a blade to be used in our kitchen.

Tinh is a knife snob :lol2:
The konosuke will do well by you for quite a long time. Is it your first carbon knife?

Nice! I'm guessing you didn't mean the honyaki one with an ebony handle.:lol2: THAT would be an insane first purchase.

This one's gonna blow your mind, I am sure of it!

you are going to love it. i use three konosuke knives on a regular basis and really enjoy them.

just take care of it and you will have something special that will last you a long time

Ouch!! That hurt!!! lol. I believe in buying quality tools but on a teachers salary and kids in college this was it. Its not the tool of my trade just a blade to be used in our kitchen.
Well, I don't deny being a snob but I actually was trying unsuccessfully to be complimentary. Sorry! :scared2:I have a KonHD which is essentially a clone of your knife in a different steel and it is one of my favorites.

Great knife. You won't be disappointed!

tk59 thanks for your posting, working for the federal gov for 20 years and public education for the last 7 I have pretty thick skin!!! Sorry if I misunderstood the post, I have appreciated all of your comments. The knife snobs on this forum are why i am here. You are the ones that myself and others can learn from.

Andrew H, this is my first kitchen carbon steel knife, I realize it is going to take extra care. What recommendation would you have? I doubt spraying it down with Rem Oil is the preferred method here!

...I realize it is going to take extra care. What recommendation would you have?...
If you live in a fairly arid environment, there's not much to it really, you
just wipe your blade often with a damp cloth while you're cutting until a patina develops. Then you wipe less often. Once you are done cutting, you need to dry it completely. If you live in a humid environment, you may need to wipe it with camelia or food grade mineral oil after use to keep it from rusting.

Pretty much what tk said. I wipe mine down during cutting with a damp kitchen towel. When I finish up I wash with hot water and soap, then dry well.

Just a tip - your knife will be able to cut through paper towels and rags, if you angle it right against the cloth. Beware.

Congrats on the new blade! I have a Konosuke White#2 blade -- I did a light forced patina with mustard, which stank pretty bad, but worked very well. I live in Seattle, so it's pretty damp here, I've had no issues with rust; just always remember to wash and dry immediately. I find that really hot water helps too (well, as hot as tap water can get).

as far as taking care of it goes, just make sure you wipe it down during use with acidic foods like citrus and tomatoes and after use with everything else. never put it away unless its been cleaned with really hot water completely and dried thoroughly. you will have to baby it for the first few weeks of use until you get a nice patina. after that, just make sure you wipe it when you are finished and clean/dry it after every use.

if the patina forms and you are not happy with it, not to worry...a $4 bottle of Bar Keepers Friend that will last you a lifetime will be all you need to start fresh. i like the liquid BKF because after a shaking, you can pour some in the cap and the cap acts as an application cup which will quite perfectly fit a champagne cork to use to apply.

keep us informed with pictures and updates :D

OG, great first purchase - after many knives bought and sold over the years, my favorite gyuto is still my 270 Kono white#2

For the patina to develop evenly, I always wipe down my solid carbon blades with acetone right when I get them to remove any possible lacquer that may be preventing the patina to form.

Depending on what you are used to, I'm sure it will cut pretty good out of the box...but you will really be amazed once a new edge is put on it.

Have fun with it! and welcome to the forum.

For the patina to develop evenly, I always wipe down my solid carbon blades with acetone right when I get them to remove any possible lacquer that may be preventing the patina to form.

+1, my Yusuke had a good amount of lacquer on it. It washed off pretty easily with hot soapy water.....

Back