Fed up ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peco

Banned
Reaction score
So I had my Carter HG Funa for approx. a week. It has been a true pleasure cutting and chopping stuff during the week. I was told to get a 240 - I got a 230 which is fine. Must eat my previous words, 200 would have been to small ... tried one again yesterday and felt that it was tiny lol. The white steel is easy to sharpen, retains a good edge, have to figure out the best angles though ... maybe 60/40 or 70/30 ... have to experiment.

The handle suits me fine, really don't see a reason why it should be changed - as many of you guys do. Actually I like everything about the knife, no cons what so ever. Carter makes great knifes and I will buy more for sure. Not a gyuto, I have what I need - I'm fed up ... and a very happy camper :D

So I had my Carter HG Funa for approx. a week. It has been a true pleasure cutting and chopping stuff during the week. I was told to get a 240 - I got a 230 which is fine. Must eat my previous words, 200 would have been to small ... tried one again yesterday and felt that it was tiny lol. The white steel is easy to sharpen, retains a good edge, have to figure out the best angles though ... maybe 60/40 or 70/30 ... have to experiment.

The handle suits me fine, really don't see a reason why it should be changed - as many of you guys do. Actually I like everything about the knife, no cons what so ever. Carter makes great knifes and I will buy more for sure. Not a gyuto, I have what I need - I'm fed up ... and a very happy camper :D

Glad you like your Carter. I really like mine. The handle issue isn't on the High Grade (HG) knives like yours, but with the handles on the SFGZ and KU series. Plain wood and plastic ferrules, unlike the ho wood and buffalo horn on your HG. Also, the handles on the HG are epoxied in place and won't come off, while the SFGZ/KU handles are attached the traditional way - the tang is heated and hammered into the handle - a much less permanent solution.

Haha, I thought you were going to be angry about something.

Also, the "want" to change a handle is often a greater factor than the "need" to change a handle. We just use mediocre handles as an excuse to get a nicer one. Like if a knife I am considering buying comes with a bad handle, I list that in the "pro" section, because it means I can get a pimped out one.

I'm not sure what you're "fed up" with? People saying to replace the stock Carter handle?

I also have a few Carters. I have the same feeling as you that there is nothing "wrong" with the wa handle on my HG Funa, but I can also understand the case that some make for replacing it.
The blade is a world-class blade. It's as good as any custom or honyaki when it comes to function. However the handle, while perfectly "ok" is not in the same league as the blade or some of the really beautiful custom handles out there (ever held one from Marko or Stefan?).

Personally, I wont rehandle my Carter Funa unless the handle wears out because A) I like it and
B) I feel that throwing away a perfectly functional handle would be wasteful

However, I can understand why some of the perfectionists out there might feel differently.

Anyway I'm glad that you love your Carter "just the way it is" -very Mr. Rogers of you.

Fed up regarding gyuto's - have what I need = my funa ...

"Fed up" means you are upset with something.

"Well fed" would mean you have had your full, you have enough of something.

well then I'm well fed, and fed up with my germans lol

Gyutos are like chinese food. You might think you are full and content, but 45 minutes later, you are on JKI or the B/S/T because you are suddenly starving.

Maybe, but I will get other knifes I need first of all - and then you never know ;)

I try to be sensible and alternate between pieces that add some utility (arguably) and gyutos. :)

Peco, did you manage to trade the SFGZ RH?

I got a Carter myself and like it fine. Mine is the Carter International Pro Series Funayuki/Gyuto 263.5mm. I actually won if from sudsy at one of the ECG a few years back. Cost me $20 for a ticket also.

I got a Carter myself and like it fine. Mine is the Carter International Pro Series Funayuki/Gyuto 263.5mm. I actually won if from sudsy at one of the ECG a few years back. Cost me $20 for a ticket also.

Wow.

Back