View Poll Results: Should i keep one for myself?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 80.00%
  • No

7 20.00%
  • Maybe, but if i were you, i'd take one of these (post what you would keep in a post below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gesshin Hide 240mm Blue #2 Hon-Kasumi Wa-Gyuto- Special Project

Gesshin Hide 240mm Blue #2 Hon-Kasumi Wa-Gyuto- Special Project

I just put them up for sale on the website... pictures coming soon...

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...l-project.html

In the meantime, i have a Poll for you guys...

Should I keep one for myself (also for people to test out at the store)?

Ahhh Dangit Jon! Ive got money to spend finally and even though I have a blue #2 gyuto all of the back story makes this thing so tempting! What would you do 240 Heiji or Hide?

I guess I have to plan another trip to LA...

hmmm... what exactly are you looking for from your knife? Also, having not yet used one of these, i can only assume what it would be like based on measurements, profile, in hand feeling, etc. The Heiji, on the other hand, i know very well.

I was gifted $500 by my father for a xmas knife purchase. Now I could diversify my kit but honestly having that much money at once makes me want to spend it on something really nice that will still get used all the time. My current kit is basically: 150mm Moritaka petty; 270 Mizuno Blue#2, Crappy wusthof super slicer bread knife, wusthof paring for cutting breads and cakes out of pans. Crap stainess cleaver for beating things into submission. This covers everything I need. I had a suji for a year that I used hardly ever.

I want something that is beautifully hand crafted yet made to be a workhorse. I thought the Mizuno would be that but the F&F sucks. The steel is AMAZING. But the cladding is pretty reactive. I love this knife but sometimes it stinks on apples and the like.

I think I'm answering my own question here (heiji) but one final question. The knife on the website (Heiji 240; semi stainless) seems to have a little less of a sweet spot. The profile looks more like Konosuke than the 270. Is this the case or is it just an optical illusion?

I probably should have just PM'ed you this but what the hell...

The gesshin heiji has a bit more of a sweet spot than the photos let on... in fact, the ones i have in stock are a bit flatter for the last 1/2 of the blade.

From the story and everything I don't see how you can justify not keeping one "for the shop"

Yeah my sentiments exactly. You of all people should be sampling these bad boys.

i know... but there are a lot of people who expressed interest in these and i only have 5... people get really pissed off at me when things sell out in a day

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    people get really pissed off at me when things sell out in a day
    Well then, you just need to get more of the "good stuff" in!

What's the jigane on the special Hide's - reactivity? Hardness of the hagane?

I think you should have kept that Ino 270 blue #2 Honyaki for yourself!!!