270 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
Just got this one finished up. Steel is W2 with hamon, Handle is Blister koa from Mark with SS spacers and ebony ferrule and buttcap.
P1030775.jpg

2011-12-05_03-26-27_824.jpg

As the first NEW knife in my new forum, i would like to get your guys' thoughts on it :)

Mike

I think you should send it to me. ;)

Seriously, it looks very good. The hamon is kinda low, maybe. Is the finish uneven or is it the hamon?

Thanks!!! It is the hamon. Does a weird dance across the blade. Also i took the pictures outside on a crappy day(today) and you can see weird reflections.

It looks nice, Mike. Hard to tell how much flat edge there is out from the heel in this pic; looks like it pretty quickly starts to curve upwards? If the first 4 inches or so are flat it is nice profile. The like the handle material choices, and it looks like the handle has a nice taper.

Damned gorgeous, Mike! I'd use it in a heartbeat. Your knives have a perfect balance of useable and pretty. Very nice work!

...looks like it pretty quickly starts to curve upwards? If the first 4 inches or so are flat it is nice profile...
It looks flatter at the heel than a TKC or a Konosuke/Suisin/Tad. I don't think those knives have poor profiles.

I really like the looks of it Mike. How about a spine shot?

Sorry going to have to wait until the new owner posts some lol. Thats all i got. I need to set up for better pictures. I will finish my photo booth tonight, then start getting multiples of each knife. Oh, it is flat for 4.5 inches before it starts the upsweep.

Nice profile Mike. get it wet and get some pics of that Hamon.:D

That profile looks great and I love the manly sized handle:thumbsup:

Thanks guys! Up next are petties...should have them up by the weekend...I am trying Marko's handle construction, Really liking it so far :)

Really nice Mike The profile and handle look perfect

I am the lucky reciptant of this knife ( if it ever arrives !!! )

The wait is killing me, to see so many experts comment on Mikes work and to know that although he did all the work I at least had input to the handle wood type makes me happy.

There are so many great makers on this forum, Mike, Marko, Dave, Del etc it is fantastic

Alan

Mike, did you snap up all of the "skinny W2?":eyebrow: It's not listed anymore.

Latest posts

Back