Japanese Knives Gesshin Hide 240mm Blue #2 Hon-Kasumi Wa-Gyuto- Special Project

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should i keep one for myself?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe, but if i were you, i'd take one of these (post what you would keep in a post below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ahhh Dangit Jon! Ive got money to spend finally and even though I have a blue #2 gyuto all of the back story makes this thing so tempting! What would you do 240 Heiji or Hide?

I guess I have to plan another trip to LA...

hmmm... what exactly are you looking for from your knife? Also, having not yet used one of these, i can only assume what it would be like based on measurements, profile, in hand feeling, etc. The Heiji, on the other hand, i know very well.

I was gifted $500 by my father for a xmas knife purchase. Now I could diversify my kit but honestly having that much money at once makes me want to spend it on something really nice that will still get used all the time. My current kit is basically: 150mm Moritaka petty; 270 Mizuno Blue#2, Crappy wusthof super slicer bread knife, wusthof paring for cutting breads and cakes out of pans. Crap stainess cleaver for beating things into submission. This covers everything I need. I had a suji for a year that I used hardly ever.

I want something that is beautifully hand crafted yet made to be a workhorse. I thought the Mizuno would be that but the F&F sucks. The steel is AMAZING. But the cladding is pretty reactive. I love this knife but sometimes it stinks on apples and the like.

I think I'm answering my own question here (heiji) but one final question. The knife on the website (Heiji 240; semi stainless) seems to have a little less of a sweet spot. The profile looks more like Konosuke than the 270. Is this the case or is it just an optical illusion?

I probably should have just PM'ed you this but what the hell...

The gesshin heiji has a bit more of a sweet spot than the photos let on... in fact, the ones i have in stock are a bit flatter for the last 1/2 of the blade.

From the story and everything I don't see how you can justify not keeping one "for the shop":wink:

Yeah my sentiments exactly. You of all people should be sampling these bad boys.

i know... but there are a lot of people who expressed interest in these and i only have 5... people get really pissed off at me when things sell out in a day

people get really pissed off at me when things sell out in a day
Well then, you just need to get more of the "good stuff" in!

What's the jigane on the special Hide's - reactivity? Hardness of the hagane?

I think you should have kept that Ino 270 blue #2 Honyaki for yourself!!! :knife:

I think it is absotively, posolutely imperative that you keep one for the store, just in case someone wants to check it out...

the jigane is just wa-tetsu (japanese soft iron)... dont know how reactive they will be, but i would imagine not too bad based on the yanagiba i have from the same blacksmith. The hagane is about 62-63 i believe (or at least thats what we talked about doing).

@johnny

i've got quite a few knives at the store for this... a couple of drawers full at this point (well, one big drawer and then the rest are scattered about, tucked away in little nooks (or out on loan to local chefs and customers)

I may have to stop by and check one out tomorrow...

-Chuck

I say no. You've got 5, you'll never have a ton in, you know. I mean, I guess you've got to ask yourself even if you keep one, what's the likelihood that someone not on these boards will try it in store, fall in love with it, and then constantly check back for whenever it comes back in stock?

I mean, if you really WANT to keep it, I would, I'd just choose a different rationalization :wink:

I think you're in trouble if you're asking this kind of advice from the forum. We have a tendency to enable :D

I think you should keep it (for a while at least). Get to know it, sharpen it, and then resell it as an upgraded blade that also has a 'Broida' edge on it. I think people would probably pay a bit more to know that you have tinkered with it and found a good combo of stones/angles to really make the blade sing. This way you get to try it out, add value, and have a satisfied customer. Maybe even send a personal note on sharpening suggestions.

k.

I think you should keep it (for a while at least). Get to know it, sharpen it, and then resell it as an upgraded blade that also has a 'Broida' edge on it. I think people would probably pay a bit more to know that you have tinkered with it and found a good combo of stones/angles to really make the blade sing. This way you get to try it out, add value, and have a satisfied customer. Maybe even send a personal note on sharpening suggestions.

k.

Now THAT is an enabler suggestion if I ever heard it. Would probably work too...

k.

haha... i dont know. When i test out knives, i tend to be kind of destructive, trying to see how far i can push things. I couldnt do that to a knife i was planning on selling. Also, i almost never sell things that i pick up anymore... i have a hard time parting with them.

Anyways, i'm still considering this. This knife would push me into the $800+ range for what i've spent on knives this month... and i know i have more stuff on the way. Its funny... i'm pretty sure i spend more now on my knives and stones than i ever did before.

You could do a middle of the road approach. Have it available for sale, but if all 5 aren't sold by 12/23, you're snagging one...

Keep one. You own the shop, you buy the knives, so you should be the first to use one and try it out extensively. Maybe you'll use it for a while and notice something about it you don't like that you could have changed for the next ones. Better you notice it first. And if the knife is totally awesome you'll know firsthand that you need to buy more the next time and they'll sell very well

Keep one. You own the shop, you buy the knives, so you should be the first to use one and try it out extensively. Maybe you'll use it for a while and notice something about it you don't like that you could have changed for the next ones. Better you notice it first. And if the knife is totally awesome you'll know firsthand that you need to buy more the next time and they'll sell very well

Agreed 100%

a couple of prototypes i'm working on... cant really say more for the time being... sorry
They're both 240mm wa-gyutos though.

haha... i'm honestly surprised at how many of you would buy this knife after i test it out. I still dont think i would sell it if i picked it up.

Back