Konosuke HD Yo-Gyuto - First Impressions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obtuse

Founding Member
Reaction score
As posted on Kitchen&Knife, yesterday morning, with updates.

This morning I went down to the post office to pick up the package - It arrived so quickly! It's been about an hour since I've opened the expertly packed knife - Japanese news print was a nice touch! As I held the knife I smiled ear to ear and thought to myself, D*** this is a nice knife. It is everything I could have hoped it to be - Handle scales perfectly fitted, tappered tang, perfectly ground blade. I noticed a few things about the knife, the stock edge is microscopic -nearly a microbevel- very sharp OOTB; the bolster is soldered, but so well fitted you have to look hard to tell; the balance is perfect -just forward of the bolster- it feels very good in my hand.

At this point in time, I've cut glossy paper, chiffonade mint and parsley, diced an onion, and minced garlic. Even with the stock edge it fell through the onions. It even got stuck in my end-grain board occasionally, while cutting the herbs. This knife is truly a laser.

I look forward to giving it a full run-through this week. I'll be posting my "review" in the near future.

I spent over an hour yesterday trying to take comparison pictures with my other yo-gyutos. Unfortunately my camera and lighting suck. I couldn't get it to focus on the choil shots. I wanted to chuck my camera to the wall. Sorry guys, no pics for now. I can tell you it looks about the same as an Ashi, probably with the same grind as other Konosuke gyutos.

Also, I can't wait to see more of these knives in stock at JKI. I think people who like Yo handles will love this knife!

Thanks Jon

We need pics! Did you make sure you had your camera on manual and at a macro setting to focus on the choil shots?

I tried the macro setting. It's just a cheap point and shoot with no manual focus. All I could get was a horribly out of focus shots, where you can't discern anything. I sold my digital slr a few months ago to fund a knife purchase =(. It's a real shame because I really wanted to get some photos up. I'm looking into buying a new camera.

I tried the macro setting. It's just a cheap point and shoot with no manual focus. All I could get was a horribly out of focus shots, where you can't discern anything. I sold my digital slr a few months ago to fund a knife purchase =(. It's a real shame because I really wanted to get some photos up. I'm looking into buying a new camera.

I've seen choil shots where a matchstick was stuck to the heel to provide something for the autofocus to target.

here are some pictures for the time being:

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

Hard to top your pics Jon. I'll try the match stick, thanks for the suggestion.

Some day, when I can afford to, I'd love one of your custom handles on it.

It may just be the perspective, but is that tang tapered?! The picture from the butt end looks like it tapers the same way the blade does, which would be awesome(albeit non-functional!).

i dont understand exactly what you mean by the above statement... can you expand on that?

IMG_0054.JPG

In this picture, it looks like the tang is thicker at the spine than blade-side... looks too significant to be a trick of perspective.

IMG_0054.JPG

In this picture, it looks like the tang is thicker at the spine than blade-side... looks too significant to be a trick of perspective.

haha... i never noticed that... i'll have to check out some others and see if they are the same

I was wondering how hard It would be to rehandle. It's tapered from spine to bottom, luckily not distal tapered.

One Japanese company (Nenox?) has a tapered tang from front to back and top to bottom.

Back