Quantcast
Call me crazy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy

Call me crazy

I'm a chef, I use tools, I like my tools to show tear and wear. I don't like bling bling, I like rustic. I sometimes put a new surface on my knifes - just grinded/sanded my HG yesterday to make it look as I prefer it - not shiny. You can call me crazy - I think I'm not ... this is how I like my stuff.

How do you like yours?

I can't really say I've spent much time changing the finish of my knives. A few of mine are scratched to hell from thinning but it doesn't bother me, you don't notice it much after a while

I will have to call you crazy for getting an HG and un-polishing it. I am not a pro so my answer to your question is SHINY!!!!!

That's how I feel about handles. I want a plain black utilitarian handle.

-AJ

I like my knives as I like my girls: Sharp, beautiful and shiny. Sure its fun to **** around with a ugly tramp now and then, but the ones you show you friends are always the good-looking ones. So I go for high end in both areas

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    I like my knives as I like my girls: Sharp, beautiful and shiny. Sure its fun to **** around with a ugly tramp now and then, but the ones you show you friends are always the good-looking ones. So I go for high end in both areas
    So I take it you're not a fan of kurouchi? I think DwarvenChef will not be pleased

I'm a chef who also feels that my knives are tool; however I like a bit of refinement in my tools. I don't mind scratches from thinning or rustic finishes but I also have some that I keep shiny just depends on how the knife came to me more or less. Then again I did grind off the KU look on my Moritaka after the scale came off on its own.

Shiny, dull, kasumi, rustic, kuro-uchi, etc. can all be done sloppily or well. As long as it isn't sloppy-looking, I'm fine with just about any finish.

Haha, another for the dark side Display pieces can be shiny, the rest I like to have their use and time in the trenches shown. Not that they should be beat to hell but the nicks and scrapes along the way hold memories for me and I cherrish that. By polishing away these events I feel like it's removing the past life saying it's not good enough over it's looks. That is purely my own view and I have no problem with how others see their own knives, it's all good

Just saw a video on polishing older razors... it was painfull to see the beautiful patina being replaced by new shiny metal

Ok, "you're crazy."
    I also don't mind / like it when my tools show a little wear and developed character, but how is intentionally sanding/grinding/beating up a mirror finish any different from pollising / shining up a dull one. Both are adding decoration or "bling" to a blade.

...and oh the thought of rough sandpaper over the virgin sides of a new blade...it makes my teeth hurt!