Call me crazy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peco

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a chef, I use tools, I like my tools to show tear and wear. I don't like bling bling, I like rustic. I sometimes put a new surface on my knifes - just grinded/sanded my HG yesterday to make it look as I prefer it - not shiny. You can call me crazy - I think I'm not ... this is how I like my stuff.

How do you like yours?

I can't really say I've spent much time changing the finish of my knives. A few of mine are scratched to hell from thinning but it doesn't bother me, you don't notice it much after a while

I will have to call you crazy for getting an HG and un-polishing it. I am not a pro so my answer to your question is SHINY!!!!!:D

That's how I feel about handles. I want a plain black utilitarian handle.

-AJ

I like my knives as I like my girls: Sharp, beautiful and shiny. Sure its fun to **** around with a ugly tramp now and then, but the ones you show you friends are always the good-looking ones. So I go for high end in both areas :)

I like my knives as I like my girls: Sharp, beautiful and shiny. Sure its fun to **** around with a ugly tramp now and then, but the ones you show you friends are always the good-looking ones. So I go for high end in both areas :)

So I take it you're not a fan of kurouchi? I think DwarvenChef will not be pleased

I'm a chef who also feels that my knives are tool; however I like a bit of refinement in my tools. I don't mind scratches from thinning or rustic finishes but I also have some that I keep shiny just depends on how the knife came to me more or less. Then again I did grind off the KU look on my Moritaka after the scale came off on its own.

Shiny, dull, kasumi, rustic, kuro-uchi, etc. can all be done sloppily or well. As long as it isn't sloppy-looking, I'm fine with just about any finish.

Haha, another for the dark side :) Display pieces can be shiny, the rest I like to have their use and time in the trenches shown. Not that they should be beat to hell but the nicks and scrapes along the way hold memories for me and I cherrish that. By polishing away these events I feel like it's removing the past life saying it's not good enough over it's looks. That is purely my own view and I have no problem with how others see their own knives, it's all good :)

Just saw a video on polishing older razors... it was painfull to see the beautiful patina being replaced by new shiny metal :sad0:

Ok, "you're crazy."
I also don't mind / like it when my tools show a little wear and developed character, but how is intentionally sanding/grinding/beating up a mirror finish any different from pollising / shining up a dull one. Both are adding decoration or "bling" to a blade.

...and oh the thought of rough sandpaper over the virgin sides of a new blade...it makes my teeth hurt! :shocked3:

Didn't say I used a 60 grit sandpaper lol. I made fine scratchmarks and I'm pleased with the outcome :)

ah, ok. When i heard "rustic" i just had vissions of an abrasive that looked like that no-slip grip tape for skateboards and stair treads.

This still reminds me of cutting holes in new jeans or kicking dirt on white shoes... but whatever floats your boat...or tickles your blade. :bliss:

I actually kick dirt on white shoes lol

Haha! That's funny! Now I understand why you want your knife to fit in:
:urweird:
Thanks for sharing though... I know we are all a bit odd in our own special ways and I'm glad that you're at peace with it and happy with your old-looking new blade.

Many knife collectors think you guys are crazy for even USING your expensive blades.:lol2:

Shiny, dull, kasumi, rustic, kuro-uchi, etc. can all be done sloppily or well. As long as it isn't sloppy-looking, I'm fine with just about any finish.

+1 to this. I use all my knives so they get scratched and dinged and whatnot, some things I fix, somethings I don't, some I fix slowly over time. None of it bothers me really.

Many knife collectors think you guys are crazy for even USING your expensive blades.:lol2:

I think knife collectors are crazy for buying expensive knives and not doing anything with them. They are tools after all. Are there guys out there collecting pristine hammers, vice grips and screwdrivers too?

+1 to this. I use all my knives so they get scratched and dinged and whatnot, some things I fix, somethings I don't, some I fix slowly over time. None of it bothers me really.

I think knife collectors are crazy for buying expensive knives and not doing anything with them. They are tools after all. Are there guys out there collecting pristine hammers, vice grips and screwdrivers too?

call me crazy

Back