Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFS......................

NFS......................

I have postponed working on knives for pretty much two months in order to get out all my pots ready for the Celebration of Seagrove Potters, my trunk show at my sister's, and to fill the two shops here in town that carry my work. And now.....I get to work on some knives for gifts and myself. The pieces here are ones I cut out and ground in the profile today. I still have half a dozen from before that are awaiting heat treatment, beveling, handles and more. Between now and Christmas I hope to get them all ready for use by friends and family. And, I'm really looking forward to using a chef's knife that I have created myself.

Cutting out the profiles with an angle grinder.

Roughly cut out.

Grinding the profiles with my 2 x 36 multi-tool. Wish I could afford a 2 x 72.....maybe later.

In the making.....three nakiri, two kiritsuke yo-gyutos, and a couple of paring knives.

More later-Tom
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Wow, what fun. Cool shop Tom. Do the future recipients of your generosity know what is in store for them, or will it be a surprise?

my sister knows she has a knife coming her way, but no one else knows. my shop is actually 2100 sq ft, most devoted to making pots, and storage. it needs a thorough clean-up!
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Looking good! What steel are these made out of?

They are all 1075. I wanted to work with a steel that I wouldn't have to ship off for HT. Burners, bricks and pyrometers are the stuff I'm pretty comfortable working with. Clay too, of course. I'm hoping to create a hamon, fingers crossed, and want to try local clays mixed with wood ash, that kind of thing. Making knives is like any other craft, the learning curve to make what you can see in your mind's eye is pretty steep.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Great set up you have there Tom, thanks for sharing.

Now I hope know, by posting, you have committed to show the finished knives here as well.

Oh yeah, and almost all will be sporting Mark's scales!
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Tom, how tall are those Kiritsuke/gyutos? How long? They look like monsters!

Those knives look cool.

I'd be interested in seeing your pottery, do you have a photo album or blog or something that you can link to?

Jm2hill, right now they are 3mm x 250mm x 51.5mm. I am not very confident in my abilities at this stage of the game, so I'm allowing a little extra steel all the way around.

Kyle, I can't link to my site out of respect for the forum rules.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC