Quantcast
New from SE USA - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New from SE USA

Make a thread with the "What Knife To Buy?" questionnaire. It'll help us suggest good knives for you, and will help kick start your journey!

Advice On Home Kitchen Knives

Looking to buy a new kitchen knife. Next step might be more knives. I've looked around this forum and other web sites. Before I registered here, I did not know a thing about kitchen knives. Now, I am upgraded to knowing almost nothing about kitchen knives.

Wife's criteria is a knife is a utensil. It must be easy to maintain, must do the job very well, must not look like a trophy knife or knife as a status symbol. She and her friends are competitive home chefs amongst themselves. The benificiaries are us husbands. Darn good cooks. Wife and I met while we were graduate students. Nothing more difficult than getting someone who was a subsistence graduate student for many years to part with $.

I gas BBQ on my DCS and have a Smoking Tex. 4 out of seven nights we will be eating vegitarian. Else when, ribs, chicken, fish.

I on the other hand want the knife (knives) to look good. Not "bling" but good. As the Qer and Smoker of the household, I need function too. I am willing to spend more than the wife, but the benefit of the additional cost must be justified.

To satisfy wife,
    • Wife willing to pay for function, not knife art. So, Damascus "bling" is likely out.
    • must be low effort to maintain. So, that would disqualify knives that rust or look bad when scratched easily.
    • easy to sharpen, holds an edge.

I re posted my last entry in a new thread Please reply there, not here. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread