New from SE USA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant

Reaction score
Greetings all. Stumbled across this forum today while searching for a new set of knives to be primarily used by my wife. She is a great home cook and deserves better than our current garage sale knives.

I came across the Bob Kramer Shun knives. Liked the look and okay price point. Going to start with one all purpose kitchen knife. And if wife enjoys #1 then can move onto #2 and more. I've read that some believe there are better values with equal aesthetIcs, which is expected of personally branded product lines. Like to hear your opinions, especially alternative purchases. Thank you for the opportunity to benefit from your knowledge.

Welcome, Grant, be prepared to be educated!

:ntmy:

Welcome! Great to have you! Man I love helping people looking for knives.

My opinion should be qualified with this statement: If you love a knife, and can live with the price, buy that one. Nobody can tell you what you like best!

But that said, those knives are mighty expensive. I mean, if you are talking about This One, it is competing in a weight class with This One(a very fine quality Japanese-made knife) and This One(made by a single talented American craftsman).

Welcome. Hope you stick around even after you find the right knife.

Grant,
Welcome....be prepared for massive information overload. This bunch has it going on.

I've been reading and I've been
learning. I am indeed on overload!

Next thing is moderating the addiction before it gets out of control....time management...you know.

Make a thread with the "What Knife To Buy?" questionnaire. It'll help us suggest good knives for you, and will help kick start your journey!

Looking to buy a new kitchen knife. Next step might be more knives. I've looked around this forum and other web sites. Before I registered here, I did not know a thing about kitchen knives. Now, I am upgraded to knowing almost nothing about kitchen knives.

Wife's criteria is a knife is a utensil. It must be easy to maintain, must do the job very well, must not look like a trophy knife or knife as a status symbol. She and her friends are competitive home chefs amongst themselves. The benificiaries are us husbands. Darn good cooks. Wife and I met while we were graduate students. Nothing more difficult than getting someone who was a subsistence graduate student for many years to part with $.

I gas BBQ on my DCS and have a Smoking Tex. 4 out of seven nights we will be eating vegitarian. Else when, ribs, chicken, fish.

I on the other hand want the knife (knives) to look good. Not "bling" but good. As the Qer and Smoker of the household, I need function too. I am willing to spend more than the wife, but the benefit of the additional cost must be justified.

To satisfy wife,
  • Wife willing to pay for function, not knife art. So, Damascus "bling" is likely out.
  • must be low effort to maintain. So, that would disqualify knives that rust or look bad when scratched easily.
  • easy to sharpen, holds an edge.

I re posted my last entry in a new thread Please reply there, not here. Thank you.

Back