Quantcast
Kramer Custom Ready Made Knives
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kramer Custom Ready Made Knives

Kramer Custom Ready Made Knives

I am sure many of you got this email, but for those who missed it, here it is. Bob is now selling some "ready made custom" knives for sale at their regular (for Bob) pricing, no auction format. I assume he will still be doing some auctions, but he will also be selling knives in this manner, at least this time. Instead of an auction, you select which knife you are interested in, your name is entered into a pool, and then when the time period ends, one of those interested is selected at random. Sounds pretty simple, and you can get a Kramer for way cheaper than his auctions! I said cheaper, not cheap.

So what does he have up right now? How about a 52100 straight steel 8" chefs knife with a euro handle in snakewood?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1323278553.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2861
    $2,750.

Up next, a 9" chefs knives in whirlwind damascus and a euro style amboyna burl handle!

Name:	1323278528.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2862
    Yours for $5,625.

And finally, because your baguettes won't cut themselves, a 10" bread knife in ladder damascus with a euro handle in crazy (for Bob) dyed buckeye burl:

Name:	1323278493.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	2863
    Only $6,250! That's 250 Forschner Fibrox 10" bread knives!

Go on, put your name in, you deserve it!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Is it just me, or in a hypothetical world sans Kramer, a knife with that profile (looking at that 8'' chefs) would be roundly panned on here. Personally I think it's awful.

Even is the current world WITH Kramer, his profile gets plenty of criticism. Probably the #1 complaint of the Zwilling version. It isn't as bad as it looks, it is taller than most/all j-knives, but other than that, the edge profile is nearly the same as a Masamoto with a snub-nosed tip.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    Is it just me, or in a hypothetical world sans Kramer, a knife with that profile (looking at that 8'' chefs) would be roundly panned on here. Personally I think it's awful.

Looks a lot like that crap from Wildfire to me.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post

Looks a lot like that crap from Wildfire to me.
    I think you've got it backwards. The Wildfire is a attempt to copy the Kramer, as Alex Blue is doing also. However, the reason Wildfire Cutlery is "panned" is the geometry and heat treatment, not the profile.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

I would like to state that I never ever can afford a Bob Kramer custom!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I am sure many of you got this email, but for those who missed it, here it is. Bob is now selling some "ready made custom" knives for sale at their regular (for Bob) pricing, no auction format. I assume he will still be doing some auctions, but he will also be selling knives in this manner, at least this time. Instead of an auction, you select which knife you are interested in, your name is entered into a pool, and then when the time period ends, one of those interested is selected at random. Sounds pretty simple, and you can get a Kramer for way cheaper than his auctions! I said cheaper, not cheap.

So what does he have up right now? How about a 52100 straight steel 8" chefs knife with a euro handle in snakewood?
    Attachment 2861
    $2,750.

Up next, a 9" chefs knives in whirlwind damascus and a euro style amboyna burl handle!
    Attachment 2862
    Yours for $5,625.

And finally, because your baguettes won't cut themselves, a 10" bread knife in ladder damascus with a euro handle in crazy (for Bob) dyed buckeye burl:
    Attachment 2863
    Only $6,250! That's 250 Forschner Fibrox 10" bread knives!

Go on, put your name in, you deserve it!
    He must have heard of all mid-tech and production knives coming to the market, and got into gear.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    I would like to state that I never ever can afford a Bob Kramer custom!
    Yes, maybe he should offer financing; five year loan @ 5.5% interest; and an extended warranty program....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

The only reason that Kramer's knives are so ridiculously expensive, is some dumbass bought one that he priced that high...And that got him on tv talking about all of the fictional magic powers of "pattern welded damascus"....ugh. Heya guys...Just so you know, my damascus knives are going to start at $4k....mmmmk?

C'mon, everyone here knows Kramer has upped the ante for every (non-Japanese) kitchen knife maker. If I had never seen the recommendation of his work in Cook's Illustrated several years ago, I would probably be happy as a clam with my 8" MAC, totally oblivious to this whole world of cutting edge (pun intended) handmade kitchen knives. Instead, it set me on a new path. Thanks Bob for being so passionate about your craft, and an excellent (small) businessman. If a large dinnerware manufacturer asked me to design dinnerware for them, and stayed true to my designs, I'd have to jump on it too.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

+ Reply to Thread