Quantcast
More Iron Chef America Knives
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Iron Chef America Knives

More Iron Chef America Knives

Watching battle cabbage, and Bobby Flay is using generic looking knives, butt the challenger is using J knives! I saw a honesuki used to break down a big sea bream, and a wa handled something chopping cabbage. I'm pretty sure that I saw a Nenohi gyuto in there too. The guy is plating with tweezers!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I have seen dozens of different knives on Ironchef the past few months. The only ones I could clearly pause and positively identify (LOVE DVR!) were:

Shun (looked to be a 6 or 8 " chefs)
    Henckels Pro S
    Korin (just said korin looked to be 8" or so gyuto) FORGIONNE was using it
    Misono 440 (clear as day) looked to be 10" or larger gyuto

Would really like to hear what others have seen. I am not in any way saying that it matters, just nice to know...

Love this forum by the way...

JC

Iron Chef Japan, chef Morimoto (there's a morimoto everywhere) was dual wielding what looked like Nenox S1s to mince Natto beans.

A little ot. Spotted one of the contestants using a nenox in this season's top chef.

I haven't seen her recent battles but I've seen Iron Chef Cora use a Masanobu Gyuto. Batali used a Misono Carbon Gyuto (Dragon) when he was on the show. I saw Mark Ladner, Batali's assistant on the show, use a Glestain once when trimming fish. I don't recall what kind of chef's knife or gyuto he uses.

From what I can tell, Iron Chef Symon uses a Nenox (can't tell which handle, but it looks like a Karin to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Iron Chef Japan, chef Morimoto (there's a morimoto everywhere) was dual wielding what looked like Nenox S1s to mince Natto beans.
    If you are implying that there are other Morimotos, I would agree. But the Masiharu Morimoto from IC America is actually the Japan chef from Iron Chef Japan. He's one tough cooking hombre.

And he has a full set of red bone handled Nenox.

Morimoto I'm pretty sure is actually a Nenox rep. Not that that is a bad thing at all. I've seen a Carter on there before (not sure which battle). In the first battle that Garces had his opponent was using Suisin western handled knives. I've been trying to figure out what knife David Kinch was using (the guy from the battle cabbage referenced in the first post). It was a wa handled gyuto, but had a longer, flowing neck than any I could find online with no machi. Looked like a custom, very nice knife. Kinch's food has a lot of Japanese influence, so he probably got it in Japan from someone I can't find online.

Batali's sous, Ladner, used a deba and yanagi for a lot of Batali's later fish episodes, but I could never tell what the make was, and he didn't use them with traditional japanese technique, more like french technique with japanese knives.

Morimoto and his sous always blow my mind with how precise they are even in the time limits. Katsuramuki is hard enough as it is, but doing it all with yanagis in a big rush and hitting it just perfect makes me a little sick inside.

Has anyone ever seen Morimoto use a Henckels Morimoto knife?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Never. I have only seen the custom nenox/stag handle. The only double bevel I see him use on a regular basis is the custom yo-deba.

Recently i saw a very cute,very young female chef sharpening an S1 on a waterstone in her intro/bio to iron chef.She was cooking Italian food,did i mention she was easy on the eyes.I can't say i was looking for knives when she cooking

+ Reply to Thread