Quantcast
More Iron Chef America Knives - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More Iron Chef America Knives

I recently saw a chef on the Iron Chef Japan shown sharpening a Yanagi during his intro- he wasn't very pretty, tho...............
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I don't think anyone uses the knife lines they endorse, except people who aren't serious cooks, like Rachael Ray and Guy Fieri. I haven't even seen Alton use his "Angles" very often.

I mean, they are cooks. They know as much about knife design as NASCAR drivers know about Automotive Engineering. We are a collection of people who blur that line, but most cooks can only say something like what I hear from 90% of my coworkers: "I want a sharp knife that won't slip and I can rock".

i would say they probably (with the exception of MM) dont know much about knives. they probably have people sharpen their brand new knives all the time and just phone nenox and tell them they need a new set. i doubt very much they have the time we all make in our lives to appreciate and sharpen our own cutlery.

i might be completely wrong but that is the feeling i get. look at their knives when they show them. there is no scratches or anything which leads me to believe they are right out of the box.

ive seen them all use a bunch of different knives and i also saw a challenger taking the sides off a large fish with a yanagi although i couldn't make out the brand.

i guess we just take this obsession too far for the professional chef

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    i might be completely wrong but that is the feeling i get. look at their knives when they show them. there is no scratches or anything which leads me to believe they are right out of the box.
    With that said, I have seen some of the sous chefs' knives look a bit beat up on Iron Chef, and the challenger knives are probably not promotional. Btw, it kills me when Flay opens cans with his knives. I've seen that a few times.

Sometimes, I think Top Chef is a bit interesting to watch knives on too. I bet a lot of them buy new knives for the show, but every once in a while there is a surprise, like Hung in the past. Also, Blais was using a wa handled suji or yanagiba on the last show. It was a quick shot. The only down side with TC is that there are a lot of Shuns floating around.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Last nights IC Japan had Saki against an actual Frenchman, Saki used Nenox and the Frog had a roll of at least 10 knives that all had matching metal handles.
    Flay uses knives to open cans because he can't figure out how to use a can opener!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Flay uses knives to open cans because he can't figure out how to use a can opener!
    That is so true. The can opener is his nemesis.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Speaking of Bobby Flay,did you see him get murdered by my fellow Canadian Chuck Hughes? That was a total surprise.Those judges were merciless.

What was the challenge? I saw a rerun last week where Cat Cora got hammered too.

It was "Canadian Lobster' challenge. Flay looked pretty p!ssed off with one of his sous chefs.She was messing up bad.

I'd pay good money to see Flay cut his own head off on tv.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

+ Reply to Thread