Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what type of knife for cutting joints of meat?

Question what type of knife for cutting joints of meat?

hi guys i got my carter 240mm gyuto today im loving it! kinda thought it would be sharper though its sharp its just not scary sharp maybe im expecting too much.

anyway im now looking for a knife to cut joints of meat. am i right thinking this would be a suji?

i want a long one at least 300mm (i want to be able to slice through a joint of meat with one cut) but i want a double bevel i dont like the thought of a knife only being sharp on one side

i want a white carbon

any suggestions?

Are you talking about actually cutting through a joint. Like the stifle or atlas joint or are you referring to the British term for a boneless primal. If it is actual joints you want a stiff boning knife. 5 or 6 inch. A hankotsu works as well. A suji is too long and too thin for this task. It will chip and there is not enough control. If it is for cutting boneless primal like a strip loin I would go with a suji or scimitar. If it is bone in primal like a pork rack I would use a scimitar not a suji because of risk of chipping. 95% of butcher is done with a boning knife. I'll break a whole side of beef into sub primals with a 5 in boning knife and not use anything larger until I clean them.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

I agree with Chuck, a stiff 6in boning knife. I would also add that a 8-10 inch breaking knife is very good for the larger tasks.

Are you from the UK? If so joint can mean different things.

+1 an 8 in breaking knife is my second most used knife. A very under rated knife. I don't know why more people don't make/use them.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

Don't use thin edged J- knives around bone.It's a cheap fix,for joints like a Forschner boning knife.A suji is a slicer.Not sure what you mean cutting thru joint with one cut.There are lots of meat joints deboning a bird can be done quickly wt. a thinner boning type blade without cutting bone at all,just working the tip thru the joint. If chopping Ribs apart a bone bone cleaver works great or a beefy gyuto.

Diff. blades for diff. joints,but a 300mm white steel suji is not one of them.

Was your Carter new? Weird, as my Carter's were extremely sharp ootb.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I have a feeling he is referring to the British term for joints. Which just means a sub primal.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTheButcher View Post
    I have a feeling he is referring to the British term for joints. Which just means a sub primal.
    Yes the OP is from the UK so he's looking for a 300mm White steel suji basically

Quote Originally Posted by stevenn21 View Post
    i dont like the thought of a knife only being sharp on one side?
    ? I think you may be misunderstanding what a single-beveled knife is, or I'm not quite grasping what you mean, as single-beveled knives have the same number of edges as double-beveled knives.