More Iron Chef America Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikeC

Founding Member
Reaction score
Watching battle cabbage, and Bobby Flay is using generic looking knives, butt the challenger is using J knives! I saw a honesuki used to break down a big sea bream, and a wa handled something chopping cabbage. I'm pretty sure that I saw a Nenohi gyuto in there too. The guy is plating with tweezers!

I have seen dozens of different knives on Ironchef the past few months. The only ones I could clearly pause and positively identify (LOVE DVR!) were:

Shun (looked to be a 6 or 8 " chefs)
Henckels Pro S
Korin (just said korin looked to be 8" or so gyuto) FORGIONNE was using it
Misono 440 (clear as day) looked to be 10" or larger gyuto

Would really like to hear what others have seen. I am not in any way saying that it matters, just nice to know...

Love this forum by the way...

JC

Iron Chef Japan, chef Morimoto (there's a morimoto everywhere) was dual wielding what looked like Nenox S1s to mince Natto beans.

A little ot. Spotted one of the contestants using a nenox in this season's top chef.

I haven't seen her recent battles but I've seen Iron Chef Cora use a Masanobu Gyuto. Batali used a Misono Carbon Gyuto (Dragon) when he was on the show. I saw Mark Ladner, Batali's assistant on the show, use a Glestain once when trimming fish. I don't recall what kind of chef's knife or gyuto he uses.

From what I can tell, Iron Chef Symon uses a Nenox (can't tell which handle, but it looks like a Karin to me).

Iron Chef Japan, chef Morimoto (there's a morimoto everywhere) was dual wielding what looked like Nenox S1s to mince Natto beans.

If you are implying that there are other Morimotos, I would agree. But the Masiharu Morimoto from IC America is actually the Japan chef from Iron Chef Japan. He's one tough cooking hombre.

And he has a full set of red bone handled Nenox.

Morimoto I'm pretty sure is actually a Nenox rep. Not that that is a bad thing at all. I've seen a Carter on there before (not sure which battle). In the first battle that Garces had his opponent was using Suisin western handled knives. I've been trying to figure out what knife David Kinch was using (the guy from the battle cabbage referenced in the first post). It was a wa handled gyuto, but had a longer, flowing neck than any I could find online with no machi. Looked like a custom, very nice knife. Kinch's food has a lot of Japanese influence, so he probably got it in Japan from someone I can't find online.

Batali's sous, Ladner, used a deba and yanagi for a lot of Batali's later fish episodes, but I could never tell what the make was, and he didn't use them with traditional japanese technique, more like french technique with japanese knives.

Morimoto and his sous always blow my mind with how precise they are even in the time limits. Katsuramuki is hard enough as it is, but doing it all with yanagis in a big rush and hitting it just perfect makes me a little sick inside.

Has anyone ever seen Morimoto use a Henckels Morimoto knife?

Never. I have only seen the custom nenox/stag handle. The only double bevel I see him use on a regular basis is the custom yo-deba.

Recently i saw a very cute,very young female chef sharpening an S1 on a waterstone in her intro/bio to iron chef.She was cooking Italian food,did i mention she was easy on the eyes.I can't say i was looking for knives when she cooking:razz:

I recently saw a chef on the Iron Chef Japan shown sharpening a Yanagi during his intro- he wasn't very pretty, tho...............

I don't think anyone uses the knife lines they endorse, except people who aren't serious cooks, like Rachael Ray and Guy Fieri. I haven't even seen Alton use his "Angles" very often.

I mean, they are cooks. They know as much about knife design as NASCAR drivers know about Automotive Engineering. We are a collection of people who blur that line, but most cooks can only say something like what I hear from 90% of my coworkers: "I want a sharp knife that won't slip and I can rock".

i would say they probably (with the exception of MM) dont know much about knives. they probably have people sharpen their brand new knives all the time and just phone nenox and tell them they need a new set. i doubt very much they have the time we all make in our lives to appreciate and sharpen our own cutlery.

i might be completely wrong but that is the feeling i get. look at their knives when they show them. there is no scratches or anything which leads me to believe they are right out of the box.

ive seen them all use a bunch of different knives and i also saw a challenger taking the sides off a large fish with a yanagi although i couldn't make out the brand.

i guess we just take this obsession too far for the professional chef :D

i might be completely wrong but that is the feeling i get. look at their knives when they show them. there is no scratches or anything which leads me to believe they are right out of the box.

With that said, I have seen some of the sous chefs' knives look a bit beat up on Iron Chef, and the challenger knives are probably not promotional. Btw, it kills me when Flay opens cans with his knives. I've seen that a few times.

Sometimes, I think Top Chef is a bit interesting to watch knives on too. I bet a lot of them buy new knives for the show, but every once in a while there is a surprise, like Hung in the past. Also, Blais was using a wa handled suji or yanagiba on the last show. It was a quick shot. The only down side with TC is that there are a lot of Shuns floating around.

k.

Last nights IC Japan had Saki against an actual Frenchman, Saki used Nenox and the Frog had a roll of at least 10 knives that all had matching metal handles.
Flay uses knives to open cans because he can't figure out how to use a can opener!

Speaking of Bobby Flay,did you see him get murdered by my fellow Canadian Chuck Hughes? That was a total surprise.Those judges were merciless.

It was "Canadian Lobster' challenge. Flay looked pretty p!ssed off with one of his sous chefs.She was messing up bad.

Lol! I hear that.I try to only watch the show when Morimoto is on,but to be fair I haven't seen any of the new Iron Chefs in action.

Symon is really good. I particularly try to catch his episodes and Morimoto's episodes. The new guy (Forgionne?) seems pretty good as well, but he's only had a couple of battles that I have seen.

Saw one of Chuck Hughes' sous cut lobster knuckles w/ a Suisin western gyuto.

symon is a tool. it took me a while to realize it but its truth in my eyes.

garcia and MM are the only 2 i want to watch.

fogione is the son of larry whom i used to work for and i still couldn't be bothered to watch his battles

You watch the food network :evilgrin:

Blais was using a wa handled suji or yanagiba on the last show. It was a quick shot.

I noticed that too! My girlfriend was watching with me and I pointed it out to her...she rolled her eyes at me as usual.

It's so funny that when ppl go onto iron chef america, you can tell what they are looking for. If they are just looking for bragging rights, they will pick Flay or Cora. If they are looking for a challenge, they will pick Morimoto or Batali. I think Batali is the only one with a perfect record... correct me if I'm wrong, I don't keep up with the show at all. Morimoto rarely gets picked and I think it's funny.

And I saw Blais and his wa-suji last night! I coulda sworn it was a devin thomas knife and my gf was getting mad cuz I kept pausing it to see if there was any kanji or the trademark 'devin' arc on it. Turns out it was a japanese suji tho. Antonia uses Shuns and a yangiba that I can't quite tell who makes it and Mike has either a Togiharu or Kikuichi hammered knife.

Recently i saw a very cute,very young female chef sharpening an S1 on a waterstone in her intro/bio to iron chef.She was cooking Italian food,did i mention she was easy on the eyes.I can't say i was looking for knives when she cooking:razz:

I also saw her. She is Emma Hearst. I met her. She and the chef proprietor of the restaurant I work for are part of the Slow Food Movement and we did an event together. She is pretty friggin hot in person. I didn't like in her intro that she had that nenox knife she was just sharpening jammed tip down into her cutting board. Made me cringe a little bit.

Back