Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knives in Movies

Knives in Movies

Last night I watched the movie The Hunted with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro. At one point Benicio is on the run, finds some scrap metal, builds a primitive forge, and hammers out a knife with a serrated spine without tools in about three hours while the FBI is tracking him. Brilliant. Meanwhile, Tommy Lee Jones flint knapps his own knife during the same time, setting the scene up for a battle of homemade knives in the wilderness.

Even my non-knife wife couldn't believe this one.

There must be better (and worse) knife moments in movies.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Engorged Member
    I love all the guys who cut swords in half with other swords. Classic martial arts move.

Movies, knives, and body parts:

Chinatown for the nose

Reservoir Dogs for the ear

Blue Velvet for the, well...

No, that scene is very often parodied in field knife circles as the worst hollywood knife moment ever. Makes First Blood look like a documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post

There must be better (and worse) knife moments in movies.

k.
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    No, that scene is very often parodied in field knife circles as the worst hollywood knife moment ever. Makes First Blood look like a documentary.
    ...take your pick.

From the mind that brought forth Eraserhead.

One movie that portrays knives in a rather interesting way is the 1991 Aerican=Brazilian film "Exposure" (English title. the alternate title was High Art, which was the direct translation from Portugese) starring Peter Coyote and Tcheky Karyo. Not Oscar material but intersting.

In an excellent independant film called Dinner Rush, the chef fires a line cook because his knives are dull and his chives are like "snowflakes."

In Kill Bill 1, when The Bride goes to the sushi bar of Hattori Hanzo. After he makes her sushi, he throws his knife to the magnetic holder on the wall and it sticks perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    In Kill Bill 1, when The Bride goes to the sushi bar of Hattori Hanzo. After he makes her sushi, he throws his knife to the magnetic holder on the wall and it sticks perfectly.
    I wonder if Hattori sales increased for Koki after these movies came out...I would imagine so.

If straight-razors count as knives I have to mention the gruesome eyeball scene in The Andalusian dog.